2 RW phones as Walkie Talkie

In some RV campgrounds, cell coverage is minimal to non-existent. Would like to use our RW phones in walkie talkie mode {back up camera is useless}. Would a WiFi access point and some Android based app work or is there a simpler method? I can create a WiFi access point with an old router which would not be connected to the internet.

Thanks

The problem is range. 2.4 GHz Wi-Fi max range is probably 300 ft. outdoors, 150 ft indoors.

1 Like

There are free app for a “walkie talkie” like thing…but it requires a data connection, either cell or wifi. Since u say there is not cell signal, and like @cbwahlstrom has mentioned, wifi range is not realy suited for that.

A set of FRS or GMRS family 2 way radios are quite cheap these days at Walmart etc. $20 or so. They often have a range of 2 to 5 miles.

1 Like

That range would still be perfect for our use. We carry walkie talkies for backing out of tight spots and I would like to avoid taking additional equipment when we always have our cell phones. I’m not looking for any great long distant coverage.

Thank you fro taking the time to reply.

1 Like

If you want an even longer range, you can look into a product like GoTenna. Here is a link for more info.

3 Likes

I haven’t tried it, but this app may be promising for your intended use: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.remaller.android.wifitalkie_lite

2 Likes

Thank you coreyk, I’ll check this out

1 Like

Thank you cbwahlstrom, I’ll check out that app.

1 Like
Message an
Expert customer