2nd line?

Can I get a second number / line on the same phone?

I was able to accomplish this by obtaining a Google Voice number and then setting up Google Voice so that calls to my GV number number are forwarded to my regular Republic Wireless number.

1 Like

Hi @markw.ksw1ha,

Republic cannot assign two numbers to a single phone. @grampa’s suggestion of Google Voice is a good option. I like Sideline for this purpose.

1 Like

I’m wanting the second number for my work. When you get a call that has been forwarded in can you tell if it is to your second number? Me big thing is I don’t want to give out personal number publicly and I don’t want to carry two phones.

Hi @markw.ksw1ha,

Sideline is essentially built for your use case. You would know the call is coming to your Sideline number. There is no forwarding involved. It’s free (albeit with ads). Nothing to lose in giving it a shot.

From memory, one can set Google Voice to show the Google voice number as Caller ID for the forwarded call, however, doing so means you would not see Caller ID for the number the call originated from. One may also use the GV app or Hangouts app to receive calls without forwarding the Google Voice number.

1 Like

Sideline is a good option that I have kept as a bookmark to have a side / second line.

Google voice is another alternative while using it for this purpose is only one way to use it’s many features.

Skipping to the part I want to get to, Google Voice does have the option to forward the caller ID either as the caller’s number (so you know who is calling but can’t tell what number is being called) or your Google voice number (or you know what number is being called).

To complete the background info Google Voice itself is entirely based as a forwarding service when it started so while it gives you a number, the Google number is meant to become your public number so someone can reach you where ever you are be it at home (landline if you have one), work, or on the go with your cell.

1 Like
Message an
Expert customer