3 G going away-will it effect Republic Wireless

When is 3G going away? When will it effect Republic Wireless? How do we know if our phones are running on 3G

Here are the latest announcements from Republic Wireless regarding the 3G shutdown.

1 Like

Hi @susanm.stkess and welcome to the Community!

The most widely deployed coverage for any network is currently 4G LTE with 5G gaining traction. 3G coverage will ultimately be going away for all service providers not just Republic. Perhaps, the more pertinent question is how 3G going away will affect you?

Would you be willing to share the brand, model and generation of the phone you currently use with Republic?

1 Like

Hello -

Thank you for getting back to me. We have 2 phones on Republic. One is

Moto E⁵ Play

Device ID:■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■

and the other is

Samsung Galaxy A10e

Device ID:■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■

Hi @susanm.stkess,

Thank you for the additional context! Both of the phone models you mention are 4G LTE compatible. Unless you frequent areas with no 4G LTE coverage (highly unlikely), future retirement of 3G networks will not impact your coverage

1 Like

Okay. Thank you!!! Hope you have a pleasant evening!

2 Likes

Ut oh… I think I’m going to be in trouble here :frowning:

In general, I don’t care about phones and don’t do anything with them. I have a Moto X 1st Gen that I’ve had as m only phone since, I believe, 2013. My only “app” is the flashlight, that’s how little I use phones :smiley:

I never use the thing as an actual cell phone as I live in the middle of nowhere, so it’s always on WIFI.

Is the death of 3G going to make my phone useless, or will I still be able to use it on WIFI like I’ve been doing it’s whole life?

Hi @seanq and welcome to the Community!

The ultimate sunset of 3G cellular technologies will affect not just Republic but all cellular networks.

In case you missed it, Republic has recently announced the end of activations for its legacy phones:

It’s important to note this does not yet impact legacy phones such as your Moto X1 still in service. Eventually, however, the cellular network supporting your Moto X1 and other Republic legacy phones will be retired and eventually will be soon.

Theoretically, Republic might be able to continue support for its legacy phones on WiFi only. My instinct is that probably won’t happen but we’ll need to wait for future word from Republic on that.

I would point out as has been previously mentioned in this topic, there are alternatives for WiFi only phone service should Republic not choose to continue support… The most well known alternative is Google Voice but there are others as well.

1 Like
Message an
Expert customer