3g cellular connectivity

Just bought a new phone with 3g. Will this be unable to receive/send via cell network?
Thanks
Fred

Hi @fredm.c7ildp,

Could you tell us the make and model of the phone? If you’re asking if the phone will work for service on Republic Wireless, there’s a lot more we’d need to know than just that it has 3G.

It’s a Moto Power (2021). Under Preferred Network Type, it lists LTE/3G/2G. The alternatives offered are one or the other.

I realize it will work fine on WiFi, but what about cellular network after 3G goes away?
Thanks,
Fred

The Moto G Power (2021) is compatible with all cellular carriers in the United States for the foreseeable future. You need not worry.

2 Likes

What that means is that the phone prefers LTE (4G), if there is no 4G signal it then looks for a 3G signal and then a 2G signal. The LTE network will be around for a long time to come so you’ve got nothing to worry about.

1 Like

The phone connection info says: LTE/36/2g. So, I see what you’re saying. But this is what I’m reading at: Phone Companies Plan to End 3G Service in 2022​
“T-Mobile also indicated that the former Sprint’s LTE network will be shuttered by midyear.”
I get a similar statement at: Plan Ahead for Phase Out of 3G Cellular Networks and Service | Federal Communications Commission
Since Republic uses the Sprint network, and my phone is LTE/3g only, do you still think I won’t need to replace it?
Thanks,
Fred

Republic uses Sprint, T-Mobile, and soon likely AT&T. Your phone is capable of using any of these carriers. If it should become necessary that the cellular partner for your phone needs to change, Republic Wireless will notify you. Changing the cellular partner is a simple matter of installing a new SIM card. There’s nothing you need to do right now. Your phone should be fine for years to come.

@fredm.c7ildp As I indicated in my previous response, LTE is 4G. You phone is not 3G only, it is a 4G LTE device. The 4G network isn’t going away any time in the foreseeable future and you have nothing to worry about regarding your phone and network compatibility.

Got it, and many thanks.
Best to you for the holidays,
Fred

Thanks. You’ve given me one less thing to worry about. Happy holidays.
Fred

1 Like
Message an
Expert customer