5G service on S20FE?

As I understand it, Republic does not support 5G service. But I still get a 5G logo (instead of LTE) in some locations. Problem is 5G speed seems closer to 1G for some reason. Super super slow. So am I getting bumped back to a slower speed if a have a 5G phone? Because you dont support it? How is this being handled on phones that support 5G. (I am on T mobile network)

Good Morning @tonyb.1ysdnx

Your understanding is correct.

Despite lack of “official” support, Republic members with 5G capable phones will indeed see 5G NSA service in some locations. For more on the different flavors of 5G, please see here: Understanding Emerging 5G Technologies.

This has nothing to do with Republic’s lack of official support and everything to do with the cellular network partner’s (in your case T-Mobile) network in a particular area. For all the hype one sees regarding 5G, it’s not at all unusual for its’ actual performance to be worse than 4G LTE in certain areas at certain times. This will change but that change will be more gradual than the hype suggests. As an aside, we’ve seen this movie before. During the transition from 3G to 4G technologies, 3G was sometimes faster than then new 4G LTE.

As a practical matter, you might try the following:

1. Open Settings
  2. Tap Connections
  3. Tap Mobile networks
  4. Tap Network mode
  5. Select LTE/3G/2G (auto connect) rather than 5G/LTE/3G/2G (auto connect)

Does the above restore 4G LTE signal and, if so, is the network speed what you would expect?

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Message an
Expert customer