6 Apps to Help Plan your Next Vacation

Traveling with family and friends can create some of the best memories you’ll share for years to come. It can also be a stressful time when you’re not sure where to start to get the most out of your vacation. We’ve compiled a list of apps to help you plan, navigate, and feel secure on your next trip.

Planning

Kayak

Kayak finds you the best rates for flights, hotels and rental cars by searching through hundreds of travel sights for you. This app gives you flight updates along with a place to store all of your travel plans. As a person who is often late to the airport, I especially like the airport maps and security wait time updates you get with this app.

Hotel Tonight

If you’re looking for a good deal on a last minute room, Hotel Tonight is a great app to have handy. Hotels offer a discount through the app on rooms that haven’t been booked for the night. You don’t have to wait until the day you need the room either, you can book your stay up to one hundred days in advance.

Getting around

Transit

Public transportation is often times more affordable than an Uber or taxi, and I’m always up for saving a few dollars. The Transit app makes it really easy to navigate the public transportation system in most major cities. Get real-time arrivals and departures along with step-by-step directions to your destination. If for some reason you still need to grab an Uber you can request one right from the Transit app.

Guides

If you’re like me when you’re in a new city you like to experience the best the city has to offer (at a discount). The Guides app is helpful for finding top-rated restaurants, attractions, and activities during your vacation. The app also includes phrases in different languages for your travel abroad.

Keeping your home safe

Vivint Smart Home

When you’re away for a longer trip you may start to worry about the safety of your home. With the Vivint Smartphone app, you can arm your home security system, control your home temperature, and get notifications of when your garage or doors open all from your smartphone. This app does require a subscription and operating panel for your home.

Streety

Another app by Vivint home that allows you to make sure your home is safe while you’re away is Streety. This app is like a virtual neighborhood watch. You and participating neighbors, use your shared outdoor cameras to keep an eye out for deliveries or suspicious activity. With Streetly, you can have your neighbors periodically check in on your house while you’re away right from their devices.

We hope you found this list helpful! What other advice do you have for keeping your home safe while you’re away?

My one big trip to Europe I used Travelocity (I think they merged with Expedia). I was able to get health and trip insurance…which I ended up using! Also they offer a best price deal, if the flight goes down in price they will refund the difference…and they did!

Delta App came in handy for preboarding, etc.

When travelling internationally, if you can handle an extensive background check, good idea to get Global Entry approval from TSA well in advance of trip. Lines are quick coming and going. There is also a Mobile Passport app, but I prefer the passport book.

Stayed with friends so I didn’t get a hotel.

A friend, (I don’t use “friend” lightly, this is a tried, true and trusted friend), that loves bird stayed at my house and took care of said bird. I set up one Vimtag security camera as a birdcam so I could check in on bird and friend. I could talk to both of them through the internet. It was cool watching said birds head pop up when I talked to him!