A Beginner’s Guide to your Moto E6
For basics that are common to all Android phones, please see A Beginner’s Guide to Android.
You’ve received your new Moto E6, and Republic Wireless SIM card. What’s next? Here are a few basics to help you understand how to set up the new phone and start using it.
Table of Contents
- Set up the phone
- Start using the phone
- Calling and texting
- Taking photos
- Using apps
- Volume control
Set up the phone
How to insert the SIM card and BatteryYou will need to insert the SIM card in the phone.
Also, remember to insert the battery as shown here.
How to sign into/create your Google Account
See this guide written by a fellow Republic member:
(A Beginner's Guide to Setting Up a New Android Phone with a Google Account)
How to update the Android Build
This phone left the Manufacturer’s warehouse with Android 9 installed on it. Since its manufacture date, there may have been some updates to that software. Check for updates by following these steps:
- Tap settings
- Tap System
- Tap Advanced
- Tap System updates
If you see “Your device is up-to-date”, you are all set.
How to complete Republic Activation
Activation is done on the phone, in the Republic app. For step-by-step instructions, go to the activation wizard at: https://republicwireless.com/activate/,
Your phone comes with the Republic Wireless app pre-installed. Update the the Republic Wireless App (if required), and complete the activation process.
At the end of the activation process, you will be assigned a new phone number based on your billing address. If you prefer to transfer a different number to your Republic phone, that step is done after activation. See here for detailed instructions
If you are an existing RW member and replacing the existing line of service please choose the Move number to this phone option at the time of activation.
Start using the phone
How to Turn on the Phone
Powering on, off, and waking the phone
Power on - Press and hold the power button for 5-10 seconds until the screen lights up. If you set up a PIN and enabled the setting, then the phone will power on into a locked screen. To unlock the phone, swipe up on the phone screen, Enter your 4-digit pin and then tap the check mark at the bottom right.
Power off - Press and hold the Power button for 3-5 seconds until you get 3 icons
Power off, Restart, Screenshot. Tap Power off to turn the phone off.
The difference between off and asleep
The difference between the phone being off and the phone being asleep is as follows:
- Sleep is a power saving state, the phone is still on.
- You can receive phone calls and text messages while the phone is asleep.
- Waking from sleep is nearly instant.
- The screen is dark to save battery power
- When the phone is off none of its electrical components are running.
- Battery will drain at a negligible rate.
- Cannot receive phone calls or text messages.
- Slow to boot.
- The screen is off because the phone is off.
Locking and unlocking the phone
Whenever the phone has been inactive for “sleep time” or “screen timeout” (default is 30 seconds)…then the phone enters locked mode to prevent inadvertent or unauthorized usage.
To unlock the phone,
- press the power button
- swipe up on the screen
- Enter your PIN, password, or pattern and tap on the .
What happens if you forget your PIN, password, or pattern
If you forget the PIN, password, or pattern then the only way to recover from that state is to factory reset your phone. You will need to know Google account and password that was originally used on the phone in order to get back into the phone after the factory reset.
Calling and Texting
How to Make and Receive Calls
How to make a call
Dialing with a 10-digit number
Note: You can tap the speakerphone icon any time during the call to enter into speakerphone mode
Dialing from Recents
Tap the icon on the bottom left.
Tap on the phone icon next to a number or contact name in the list to initiate the call
Tap red phone icon when done
How to answer a call or send to voicemail
On an incoming call, the phone will display the following screen
- Swipe up on the green icon to answer the call OR
- Tap on the Reply icon to reply with a text message. This action also sends in the incoming call to voicemail.
- Swipe down on the green icon to decline the call and send it to voicemail.
How to check voicemail
- Tap the icon on the bottom left.
- Tap number pad icon
- Long press (touch and hold) 1 to call Voicemail
- At the prompt, enter your voicemail password followed by “#”. Then follow the prompts to access your voicemail messages.
Note: If you did not set up a voicemail password during the activation process, you can always add it any time in the Republic app.
For additional tips on using Voicemail, see:
Alternate ways to check voicemail
How to send a text message with Messages by Google App
- Tap the icon to open the Messages App
- Tap Start Chat
- Enter a 10-digit phone number or Contact name (suggestions will appear as you start typing that match your contacts)
- Type your message in the field marked “Text message” and then tap the arrow on the right to send the message.
- Tap the icon to open the Messages App
- Tap Start Chat
- Enter a 10-digit phone number or Contact name (suggestions will appear as you start typing that match your contacts).
- Add more numbers or contacts to the list
- Tap the blue plus sign to attach an emoji, sticker, etc or tap the camera icon to attach a photo from your gallery or take a new photo using your camera.
- Tap the arrow at the bottom right to send your message.
How to use the camera
- Tap the camera icon
- Tap the Gray circle to take a photo.
- Tap on the video icon to switch to recording mode. Tap on the red dot to start record a video. Tap on the red square to stop recording. You can also click a photo during the recording by tapping on the shutter icon on the bottom right.
How to view your photos.
- Tap the Google icon group
- Tap Photos (when you tap Photos for the first time it will also walk you through your backup settings)
How to find your installed apps.
Whenever you install an app, a shortcut to the app will be placed on your Home screen. You can browse through the Home screens by swiping left or right.
How to open and use the Republic app
- Swipe up from the Home screen
- Tap the icon
- The Republic app launches to the “My Data” tab and shows you how much cellular data you have remaining if your current billing cycle.
- Tap the tab to show “Your phone info” including your phone number and voicemail settings
- Tap the icon to adjust your Republic app settings.
For additional tips on using the Republic Wireless app, see:
How to adjust the volume
Volume up and volume down buttons are located along the right edge of the phone.
Pressing either button brings up this screen.
Tap the to access all volume settings.
Adjust the sliders left or right to set the desired volume settings.
Note: The in-call volume can be changed only during a phone call by the pressing the volume up and volume down buttons.
Where to Find the Manufacturer’s User Guide and other Support Info
The phone includes excellent help documentation which can be accessed under Settings -> Help
Some of the screenshots included above have been taken from this Help resource.