A Look Inside Relay, the Smart Walkie-Talkie by Republic Wireless

Will these “channels” be free or paid or both?

TIIIIIIIIIIIIIMMMMMMMM! Good to see you.

4 Likes

From what I have seen, It should be all inclusive. Meaning they should be included with your monthly fee. I don’t think Relay is going to make you pay for each channel.

1 Like

Will Republic’s GSM partner be an option in the future?

Thanks for that question! As we add to Relay, we are keeping an open mind to changes as we release new, fun, and engaging channels. It is possible that some of these channels will include premium outside content (music, games, etc.) which could come with additional one-time or monthly fees.

Any outside or channel content (premium or not) is completely optional for users. To be clear though, we have no plans for premium/paid channels any time in the near future.

2 Likes

Good question. We always want to provide the best coverage possible to users and are open to making Relay available on GSM in the future. At launch, however, Relay will only be using our CDMA partner’s network.

3 Likes

How about the specifics of the network. Will the Relay only work where Sprint has LTE coverage or does it have 2G/3G fallback?

3 Likes

Thanks for bringing that up! Relay will also be able to utilize 3G and 2G if 4G LTE is unavailable.

4 Likes

Does this mean you will be able to locate the Relay device even without WiFi or cell service? And will you be able to get directions to the device or from the device?
Or use the Relay device for directions?

I’d love to elaborate on that! Like most devices that use a cell signal, Relay’s location services are dependent on connectivity. If Relay can’t connect to a cell tower or WiFi network, it wouldn’t be able to communicate with the companion app. If Relay loses service, the companion app will show you its last known location.

As well, the companion app doesn’t have directions built in, but when you tap the Relay’s location in the companion app it will open your default maps app so that you can get directions fast.

6 Likes

Sounds like there is a lot of development going on… is it safe to say that you’re a long way from releasing the Relay for purchase?

which product did you go with instead of Relay?

1 Like

Great question! I wouldn’t say that we’re a long way from releasing Relay for purchase. We’re committed to getting this product ready and available as soon as we can. Though a lot of development is still happening, this development will continue after launch as we continue to provide updates and new features. We’ll be communicating with you all every step of the way.

2 Likes

If you need any beta testers in the wild, my son and I are willing to be guinea pigs!

1 Like

That’s great to hear! We’re choosing beta testers out of the people who are signed up for the Relay newsletter. You can sign up by visiting the Relay website and clicking the pink “sign up!” tab on the right-hand side of the screen.

3 Likes

Hi Victoria. I signed up months ago…. I’ve also completed the survey and would love to beta test for you guys! My wife, son and I all believe in your product and want to see it succeed!! Please choose us!!

I may have signed up under my other email address:

-Vivek

4 Likes

Lot’s of good questions in this thread @vivekm.ngh7u8!.

I would love to know as well @calebg.7cbfmg. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Will you be able to use a cell phone to communicate with the Relay or do you have to have two relays to use this system?

there will be an app that will allow communication with the device (the app will work on both iOS and Android)
so yes and it will not even need to be a Republic phone

3 Likes

@drm186 has it right!
You can use a Relay to communicate with other Relays, but we also have a Relay companion app for your smartphone so that you can talk from Relay-to-phone and vice versa.

4 Likes
Message an
Expert customer