A Look Inside Relay, the Smart Walkie-Talkie by Republic Wireless

Hi Victoria, I would love to be a beta tester for the relay. We have kids who we would like to have the security of being able to communicate with, without the burden of them becoming glued to a smart phone.

Hi @charliek.vvfx4w,

If you signed up on the Relay Website then you’ll be considered. Thanks for your enthusiasm!

4 Likes

Will a GSM phone work with the Relay app to communicate with the CDMA Relay device?

1 Like

The app, is well, an app. The data stream can go out over a cellular data connection or wifi. The cell phone doesn’t even need to be a Republic cell phone. The network technology is irrelevant.

4 Likes

I wonder if it might make people less disappointed if you updated the expected release date on your website so that it doesn’t say “early 2018” anymore? We have some plans this July that are dependent on our kids having a device like Relay and it would be nice to know if we need to find something else.

Relay’s documentation is available at: https://docs.relaygo.com/en/

2 Likes

Oh that’s strange. I thought that’s where I was posting. Thanks.

1 Like

@victoria.s Today it was noticed that a help article of the RelayGo site says the device is using GSM. I asked support and received this: "Thank you for emailing in. I hope your day is going well. I can understand the confusion since you were told the Relay uses CDMA.

All Relay devices use the GSM network, and the article you linked is correct.

Please feel free to reach out if you have any other questions or issues. Have a great day!"

Which is it?

2 Likes

Hi @louisdi,

@Victoria.S was out of the office last week and will come in Monday to a lot of late-breaking details that she’ll need to spend some time digesting.

The latest information I have indicates Relay will use CDMA, though I believe we have some Beta testers using it on GSM, which may account for some of the confusion.

If you’ll let me know your ticket number, I’ll follow up with the agent to try to determine which of us has incorrect information.

1 Like

1 Like

Hi @louisdi,

I’ve confirmed with our Relay team that at launch, Relay will activate on our CDMA carrier partner’s network. I’ll try to make sure our support teams have the latest information.

1 Like

Will parents be able to turn on/off the music, Google Assistant, and games features of Relay if they want? Some parents might want their children to use this device strictly as a communication device while others won’t.

I’m just wondering more of what the parental controls are on this product as I prepare to give more information about Relay to people I know.

Thanks.

@aFloridian

you will most likely get a better and faster answer from the Relay team on their forum
for what’s it’s worth I think it’s a good question (I do not think those features/channels are active yet)

Moderator’s note: The link has been removed because the Relay Forum is no longer available. Relay help and documentation is available at https://docs.relaygo.com/en/.

2 Likes

Thanks @drm186 . I’ll post that question now on the neighborhood forum.

2 Likes

Question - my son loves to fish at a creek on our property about 100 yards from the house.
When he gets there, however, the Relay cannot find any network coverage and so cannot connect to call us.
Is there some way to boost the ability of the device to sense the network? Or can we change it so it connects to a different network or cell tower which has better signal strength?

There isn’t a way to boost it, but you likely can have it moved to another network.

2 Likes