A new router helped my phone stop dropping the home Wifi network

Just putting this out there in case it helps someone else.

My Moto X (1st gen) was dropping Wifi internet access at home. Was it the phone getting old? Was it Republic Wireless software app? Was it my Internet Service Provider (ISP) Centurylink DSL? Was it my modem/router from Centurylink (1.5 years old)? It is often hard to narrow it down but I replaced my router and that fixed my problem. I turned off the router portion of the Centurylink modem/router.

I purchased a new wireless router from Amazon. The one I chose was:

ASUS RT-ACRH13 Dual-Band 2x2 AC1300 Wifi 4-port Gigabit Router with USB 3.0

but probably any of the AC routers (the latest kind) would improve things if you have an old router. This one is a AC1300.

A new router sends out a stronger network so less dropped network connections and faster speeds. If this indeed does fix the problem, it is probably because we (and probably our neighbors as well) have been accumulating so many wireless devices (11) and Bluetooth devices (3) that there is interference at the 2.4 GHz network. This new “AC” router puts out a 5GHz network which six of our devices including my Moto X can access, and a 2.4 GHz network that the other five devices can use. It seems to be improving the performance for all the devices.

2 Likes

Good direction and glad it helped

New routers normally default to channel 6… so you may want to check out Maximizing your WiFi - getting the best from your Router/network or ROUTER - General Info for all phones on Republic a couple of docs that are maintained based on users experiences

2 Likes

Here is a setting you probably should disable on your ASUS router. With it enabled calls can go to voicemail when the phone is sleeping:

2 Likes

Ok. I did disable that “Enable YMM APSD” on the ASUS router. Thanks.

Ok. Thanks. I did use the Wifi Analyzer app and I shifted my 2.4 GHz network on the ASUS router from channel 6 to channel 11. The Wifi Analyzer recommended 13 or 14 but my router settings only go up to 11. Thanks again.

Most of the apps to check WiFi channels are built for World Wide use … 14 is not allowed in the US … my feeling on most of them and their ‘best’ channel to use, is they fail to take into consideration that 1/6/11 are the only 3 channels that do not interfere with an adjacent channel as I have tried to show in the screenshot (from CHANNEL Selection )

2 Likes
Message an
Expert customer