Activating new service on replacement Moto X2

I purchased a Moto X2 for my son in 2015 from Republic. The phone was recently damaged by a repair shop replacing the battery. They provided a replacement Moto X2 and he tried moving the Sim card but couldn’t get the new phone activated. I think it had a Sprint Sim. He decided to upgrade to a Moto X4, so he purchased a new Sim and is now up and running on the X4.

I would like to move my wife from Straight Talk to Republic and use the replacement X2 provided by the repair shop. Can I activate the X2 on Republic? It is a used phone and I’m pretty sure they did not buy it from Republic.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Hi @michaelh.rembtc!

Unfortunately, it sounds like the phone isn’t compatible with Republic. In order for the phone to work with Republic, it must be the Republic version of the X2 (model number: XT1094). Please see the following articles: Can I Bring My Moto X2 to Republic Wireless? – Republic Help and Buying and Selling Used Republic Wireless Phones – Republic Help .

Regarding the SIM card, you can’t move the SIM cards in legacy devices (that means your X2). They only work with the original phone.

You may want to try contacting the repair shop and asking for the correct model.

Hi,
Thanks for this information. I read the articles and checked the model number. It is XT1094 as it should be.

The articles say since the replacement phone did not come with a SIM that 4G will not work and to contact Republic for help. I’ll worry about this if I am able to establish service.

Since the SIM from the old X2 will not work in the new X2 I would need to get a new SIM card and put it in the replacement phone. Will that work?

Hi @michaelh.rembtc!

The SIM in the Moto X2 (and all the SIMs in legacy devices that have removable SIMs) is a special SIM that has to be programmed to the device. In order to get one, you will need to open a help ticket with Republic. They will be able to provide you with one that will enable you to activate the device. I hope that helps!

That helps a lot! Thanks so much for your assistance and taking the time to help me out.

1 Like

Glad I could help! That’s why we’re here :slight_smile: .

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Message an
Expert customer