Adoptive Storage for Ascend 5w

I just started using my Ascend 5w and found the option to set up Adoptive Storage is missing. How do I set up adoptive storage in this phone? I bought a very expensive SanDisk Extreme Pro micro SD card for adoptive storage in this phone and I don’t think I can return it.

Huawei’s EMUI doesn’t include an interface for adopted storage at this time. There are tutorials on the WWW for setting up adopted storage using shell commands (as always, at your own risk).

From one such tutorial:

EMUI 4.0 brings a lot of new feature that are Marshmallow native and also EMUI exclusive but there is one additional feature that most phone manufacturer omitted from their menu including Huawei. Adopted Storage was a new feature that was added to Marshmallow in light of the complaints regarding Lollipop issue with SD Cards. In Lollipop, not all app could be moved to SD Card and the worst is the apps would be moved back to internal storage once any update is installed.

Before we go further in showing how it is done, we would need to advise all of you that doing this might gave issue to your current setup that could lead to data corruption and lost. There are valid reasons to why this adopted storage wasn’t included in most phone manufacturer menu and one of it is for system stability.

You would think there would be a disclaimer if you advertise a specific operating system but don’t include the biggest feature of that OS. Adoptive storage is extremely stable in my Shield Tablet K1.

How difficult is it to get adb up and running?

I agree but most of the OEM Skins did this including the Samsung Touchwiz

It’s a pretty trivial thing to install and run ADB. There is a 15 second installer on the XDA forums.

I have used the 15 second installer. I ran it, opened a terminal window and ran “adb devices” and it recognized my phone. Highly recommended for Windows.

Samsung would no doubt rather make you pay them for more storage then let you add your own. They proved that when they tried to take away the SD card slot altogether.

I will try this out. If I still can’t get adoptive storage working then this phone will be returned (the size is awkward for me anyway – too small to replace my tablet and too large to fit comfortably in my pocket). I’m really not happy about being required to jump through hoops to get a basic feature working.

this is true for all OEM including Google who doesn’t give an option for an SD card

I’m really not happy about being required to jump through hoops to get a basic feature working.
Completely reasonable. However manufacturers see this kind of obfuscation and crippling of the interface as a valuable way to, as they say, differentiate their product. Perhaps no one is telling them how bad a job they are doing at this. It may not change the industry – the way RW has – but you might want to let them know.

Although it was a different way of differentiating their product than the above the consummate example of this might be when Nokia couldn’t get permission from Google for the special changes they wanted to make to Android. So they went with Windows Phone – and out of the handset business in less then 3 years. Of the 110 million phones that were sold with that OS on them there are less than 30 million left in service and virtually none being bought. Fully 30% of them were never even activated.

I am in a similar boat as you, @drog. Right now I have both the Ascend 5W and the Moto G4 on the 14 day period. So far, the Moto G4 is winning the deathmatch. I really like this Ascend 5W, but for not much more money, the Moto G4 came with 32GB internal, supports 128GB SD, supports Adoptive Storage, and is water-repellant. It is the same size screen, but feels smaller (and better) in my hand. Not really an issue for me, but also note the Moto G4 WiFi supports both 2.4 and 5Ghz. The Huawei only does 2.4Ghz.

My wife, who cares WAY TOO MUCH about the camera quality, and I agree the Moto G4 seems to take slightly better pictures. Better color-quality is what we notice most. (We took pics on both phones and her old Samsung Galaxy S4 then viewed them all on the same computer screen to compare.)

A default feature of the Moto G4 I accidentally discovered last night is if you shake it pretty hard, the flashlight comes on. Shake again, it goes off. Cool! There is probably a way to configure that on other phones.

Hi @Troywolf

A default feature of the Moto G4 I accidentally discovered last night is if you shake it pretty hard, the flashlight comes on. Shake again, it goes off. Cool! There is probably a way to configure that on other phones.

Not to get off-topic here but just thought I would clarify…at least on my Moto’s…

Shake:(like twisting a doorknob back and forth=Camera)

Chop:(like chopping wood=Flashlight).

A default feature of the Moto G4 I accidentally discovered last night is if you shake it pretty hard, the flashlight comes on.
This is a Moto-feature. They refer to the motion as chopping. It should take two “chops” to turn it on and two more to shut it off.

Another one is to twist your wrist a few times to turn on the camera for fast access. Don’t know if that feature is available on the G4 but I suspect it is.

In my more recent experience with Android devices (the last maybe 3 years or so), Motorola (or Lenovorola now…) has done a very nice job with their ‘light’ touch on the OS. I was considering Huawei (and didn’t know they disabled adoptable storage either - would have been equally irritated), but after having 2 Samsungs and an LG, I was sick of the OEMs messing with the user interface in ways that I felt were more often bad than good. I’ve been playing around with custom ROMs on various devices since 2011, so I’m reasonably familiar with what ‘stock’ android is like, and what customizations work well for me, and what don’t. Unless you go with a Nexus/Pixel device, I think Motorola is the next best option in terms of software. Essentially stock android, then they add moto display, a great always on voice wake system, and some nice shortcut gestures that work well and are reliable. And the do a great job of optimizing performance and battery life, often on less than leading edge hardware.

I went with the Moto Z Play this time around.

Message an
Expert customer