Advice regarding poor VOIP service

I have the Moto G6 phone with a voice/text/data plan and I recently downgraded my Internet service to save money and started having VOIP problems. I have Cox with 10Mbps down and 1 Mbps up. I have very poor cell service in my home, so I rely on VOIP for phone calls when I am home. Very often the RW app reports latency and packet loss on my internet connection and sometimes calls go directly to voicemail instead of ringing. Seldom any issue with text messages. The RW poor quality doesn’t seem to be affected by video streaming, but I use Netflix and YouTube regularly.

I have a Netgear WGR614v9 router with only WMM (wireless multimedia) and no sophisticated QoS services. WMM is enabled by default.

Does anyone know if disabling WMM will help? I am willing to buy a new router and I was thinking about the Ubiquiti EdgeRouterX with SmartQueue and other QoS features.

Any other suggestions?

Hey as far as router settings you cannot go wrong with following the steps at How to Set up a WiFi Router to Work Best with Republic Wireless’ Service, additionally the steps at https://web.archive.org/web/20150611112730/http://support.roku.com/entries/420570-how-do-i-improve-my-roku-player-connection-to-content-servers may help with specific Wi-Fi issues. Lastly, have you tried to Provide three exact addresses to Republic Help where you mostly use the phone, for all you know all they would have to do is send you another SIM.

2 Likes

Unless you know how to setup a enterprise switches/routers, are comfortable with CLI and manually configuring a router, I do not recommend Ubiquity hardware. They are not plug and play and a fancy ease to use GUI type devices, especially the Edge series. Also, the ERX is just a wired router, you would need a separate modern wired wifi AP.

That Netgear u mention is very old now, came out in 2007. The latency and packet drops are tell tail signs of failing hardware, no surprise on a router that old. Also, the legacy G wifi chipset in those is ancient and often will not work well with modern smartphones and devices.

I suggest picking up any modern day N or cheap AC home consumer router first. One around the $30 - 40 or so range would be worlds better than the one u have now.

If you have packet loss and latency issues you need to call Cox and have them diagnose the problem.

2 Likes

Thanks for the link to How to Setup a Router, which allowed me to find and disable SIP ALG setting. I also checked all the outbound ports and they are fine. We’ll see how things go.

yw, it is my experience SIP ALG helps with ATT modem/router combos, but may do the trick in your situation also

@kwe How are things going after the changes?

Is that a typo or did turning on SIP ALG actually help on AT&T MR combos? … if so which model, as I don’t remember anyone citing SIP ALG as working properly

To recap, my old Netgear router has no QoS capability, but I did disable SIP ALG and I can report it has done nothing to improve my RW app Diagnostic Test results. I am able to make and receive calls most of the time. I am planning to get a Qos router, but choosing one (with all the new wireless features I don’t need) is difficult.

Hi @kwe,

If you’re not seeing a difference in your call quality when you are not streaming, then I don’t think QoS is going to make a big difference.

Have you looked at your Wi-Fi environment with WiFi Analyzer as suggested in @jben’s Tips and Tricks topic? Router Tweaks - Keep WiFi 1st - a Community Guide

If the environment looks good, my next step would be to go back to @cbwahlstrom’s advice, above.

After considering all advice, I decided to start over in my trouble-shooting. I used the DSLReports speed test and ran it several times and studied the results and compared that data to the RW app Diagnostics Test results. The problem didn’t appear to be throughput and wasn’t affected by streaming from Netflix or YouTube. DSLReports said the “quality” was grade D, which meant up to 12% packet loss, so I decided to download a new Wi-Fi analyzer on my phone and look for interference. There was a signal named “Direct--Bravia" that was strongly interfering. The "” represents some letters and numbers that I failed to write down. But then I recalled that Bravia was a Sony trademark and my TV is a Sony. Could my TV Wi-Fi have somehow been re-enabled by a software update? Sure enough, my TV was broadcasting on the same ch6 as my AP. When I turned that off, the interference was removed and packet loss went away.
The lesson is: smart TVs, wireless printers and who-knows-what Internet-of-Things can be broadcasting their presence on Wi-Fi and interfering with your AP.
I want to thank everyone who responded with suggestions.
DSLReports still gives me a Quality rating of D. I may be able to improve performance with a new router with QOS, so I might invest 70 USD in a new dual-band router with QOS and switch to 5 GHz band, where none of my neighbors have service.

2 Likes

Bravo @kwe! That’s some excellent work! I feel like you should win a prize, not just for putting together all the pieces of the puzzle and figuring it out, but for taking the time to report back here to help others!

May we send you a Republic Wireless T-shirt? If your answer is yes, please message me (not by reply here, which is public, but by clicking my username then “Message”) with your preferred size (S, M, L, XL, 2X) and preferred shipping address.

Thank you very much. I have continued my research into bufferbloat and packet loss and discovered that the newest smart queue management ideas have been incorporated into only two products: the enterprise grade Ubiquiti Edgerouter X and the Evenroute IQrouter. I have ordered the IQrouter and will be reporting on its performance in a separate post within two weeks.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Message an
Expert customer