Airbnb and Virtual Mobile Operator [VMO]

While creating a new profile with Airbnb I entered my RW phone number. Airbnb notes that they “can’t support” my phone number.
I contacted Airbnb and they wanted to know if RW is a “Virtual Mobile Operator” and, if so, it will not successfully survive the Airbnb verification process.
Is RW a VMO? Are there RW users who have been verified by Airbnb?

Hi @realpenname,

Republic is indeed a virtual mobile operator as is every provider of mobile phone service other than AT&T, Sprint, T-Mobile, U.S. Cellular and Verizon. Everyone else partners with or resells one of those networks. The more commonly used term is mobile virtual network operator (MVNO).

A secondary question you may wish to pose to AirBNB is whether their issue is with MVNOs or service providers using Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP). VoIP is the technology powering the WiFi portion of Republic’s unique (sufficiently unique to be patented) app based blended WiFi/cell service.

1 Like

Hi @realpenname,

I verified with Airbnb in May, but I’ve seen another member mention being unable to do so more recently, so they may have changed something since I verified.

I can tell you that I just verified my account recently with Airbnb. It worked with no issue. I didn’t even get that message.

Basically, my phone number needed to be entered manually by Airbnb. All is well.
Thanks to the respondents!

2 Likes

Thanks for coming back and letting us know!

closed #7

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Message an
Expert customer