Alarm sometimes not working!

Phone: Moto G3 1GB/16GB
Plan: WiFi and Cell Talk and Text and 3G Data

Issue Description

This morning, my alarm didn’t go off. No sound, no vibration, no alert in the notification bar. Not the first time this has happened in the past few months but it’s getting more frequent. The phone is my only alarm clock at the moment so this is a non-trivial problem.

I tried to open the Clock app and the list of alarms was blank. No tabs at the top to see the other functions. Went into settings and forced it to stop. Opened the app, same issue. Rebooted the phone.

After rebooting, an “alarm missed” notification showed up. Opened the clock app, same problem with the blank list and missing tabs. Cleared the clock cache, cleared the clock data. Opened the app and saw the alarms list with the two default alarms, configured for my normal wakeup time. Time will tell (har har) if this fixes the problem.

I spent some time this morning on the Google looking for a solution but only found other Android users with the same problem. Looks like it was most common for Oreo and Clock 5.2 on the Pixel, but it’s been reported as far back as 2014 on various other make/model/OS combinations. Nobody has a real solution other than buying a dedicated alarm clock or using a different/spare phone as a backup, neither of which seems like an acceptable solution for something as simple as an alarm on a handheld device that outperforms an 80’s era supercomputer.

Has anyone else had this problem?

Have you tried using any third party alarm apps?

You could also try booting into safe mode to see if any apps are causing your alarm to not going off.

some good ones: https://www.androidauthority.com/alarm-clock-apps-android-101618/

edit: check to see if the clock app is set to optimizing battery use if so turn it off, don’t optimize

The Battery Optimization process didn’t happen to Android until Marshmallow (6.0) so this will not help the OP

1 Like

@samuelr.jl1hno Were you ever able to get your alarm to be reliable? If so, what fixed it?

So far it’s been working, but it was unpredictable at best before. Hopefully it was just stale data in the cache or something small.

Thanks for all your suggestions!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Message an
Expert customer