Alternate ways to check voicemail

Disclaimer: This post is in Wiki format. Feel free to update it with relevant information for future phones supported by RW or post them in the comments and I will revise accordingly. With the widening portfolio of supported phones, we will have to rely on users of those phones feeding us up to date info to keep this document accurate.

Alcatel Phones

When you receive a new voicemail, you’ll get a Motorola voicemail notification icon small notification at the top of your screen. Swipe down from the top edge of the screen and tap on this notification, and the voicemail will start playing.

Access voicemail messages from the phone menu

1. Tap the Phone icon.
  2. Tap the call-history-icon-medium icon to see your call history.
  3. Tap any item here which has a Samsung contacts voicemail icon Nougat small under the phone number.
  4. Tap View voicemail details to hear the message.
  5. To delete the message just heard, tap the trashcan-icon-small at the upper right.

Google Phones (Nexus, Pixel)

When you receive a new voicemail, you’ll get a Motorola voicemail notification icon small notification at the top of your screen. Swipe down from the top edge of the screen and tap on this notification, then tap the Motorola voicemail play button blue small button to hear the message.

1. Tap the Phone icon.
  2. Tap the Motorola phone dialer voicemail icon small icon on the right hand side.
  3. Tap the Motorola voicemail play button small button on any voicemail item to hear the message.
  4. To delete the message just heard, tap the Motorola voicemail trash button small button.

Huawei Ascend 5W phone

When you receive a new voicemail, you’ll get a notification at the top of your screen. Swipe down from top edge of the screen and tap on this notification to hear the message.

1. Tap the Phone icon.
  2. Voicemail entries have a Samsung contacts voicemail icon Nougat small under the phone number. Tap the Huawei-play-icon-small at the right to play that message.
  3. To delete a voicemail just heard, tap the Back button, then press on an item until a menu appears, and tap Delete entry.

Motorola Phones (Moto X Pure, X4, G4 series, G5 series, G6 series)

When you receive a new voicemail, you’ll get a Motorola voicemail notification icon small notification at the top of your screen. Swipe down from the top edge of the screen and tap on this notification, then tap the Motorola voicemail play button blue small button to hear the message.

1. Tap the Phone icon.
  2. Tap the Motorola phone dialer voicemail icon small icon at the upper right or bottom right of this screen.
  3. Tap the Motorola voicemail play button small button on any voicemail item to hear the message.
  4. To delete the message just heard, tap the Motorola voicemail trash button small button.

Access voicemail messages in Active Display notifications

1. Press and hold the Voicemail icon.
  2. While continuing to hold the icon, swipe up.
  3. Your phone will unlock and the voicemail message will begin to play.

Note: If you have a screen lock enabled, you will still have to use your security code, password, or pattern.

Motorola Phones (Moto X1, X2, G1, G3, E1 and E2 only)

When you receive a new voicemail, you’ll get a Motorola voicemail notification icon small notification at the top of your screen. Swipe down from the top edge of the screen and tap on this notification, and the voicemail will start playing.

1. Tap the Phone icon.
  2. Tap the 3-vertical-dots small button at the top right corner of the Phone app.
  3. Tap Call History.
  4. Tap VOICEMAIL at the upper right.
  5. Tap on a voicemail message.
  6. Tap Listen.
  7. To delete the message just heard, tap the Motorola Lollipop voicemail trashcan icon small at the upper right.

Motorola Defy XT

This phone does not support visual voicemail. Use the standard method noted here to access your voicemail
Defy XT Voicemail

Samsung Phones (Android 6.x / Marshmallow)

When you receive a new voicemail, you’ll get a Samsung voicemail notification icon small notification at the top of your screen. Swipe down from the top edge of the screen and tap on this notification, then tap Samsung voicemail play button small to hear the message.

1. Tap the Phone icon.
  2. If not selected, tap Log at the upper left.
  3. Tap any item here which has a Samsung contacts voicemail icon Nougat small under the phone number.
  4. Tap Samsung voicemail play button small to hear the message.
  5. To delete the message just heard, tap Delete at the upper right, then tap the box next to the voicemail item to select it and tap Delete at the upper right again.

Samsung Phones (Android 7.x / Nougat)

When you receive a new voicemail, you’ll get a Motorola voicemail notification icon small notification at the top of your screen. Swipe down from the top edge of the screen and tap on this notification. Now tap the Samsung contacts voicemail icon Nougat small on the right end of the voicemail entry, and then tap Samsung contacts voicemail Play Nougat small to hear the message.

1. Tap the Phone icon.
  2. If not selected, tap Recents at the upper left.
  4. Tap the Samsung call history info Nougat small to see the message details.
  5. Tap the Samsung contacts voicemail icon Nougat small on the right end of the voicemail entry.
  6. Tap Samsung contacts voicemail Play Nougat small to hear the message.
  7. To delete the message just heard, tap on the date/time-stamp of the message, then tap Delete at the upper right, now tap the voicemail item to select it, and tap Delete at the upper right again.

Activating visual voicemail
Visual Voicemail Samsung J7
Explanation of the arc icon
Voicemails from the call log
Lost password motog3
Any way I can get a voicemail icon for RW voicemail?
How to type letters -motoG keypad
Suggested Improvement to Voicemail
Voicemail on phone not via logging in
Voicemail on Samsung 9
Voicemail password problem
Changed my pin and can't get my phone messages
Voice mail is not alerting my phone!

I looked at your instructions and could not see how they would apply to my phone

In your Disclaimer, you asked that if I notice any errors or updates, please post them in the comments and you would revise accordingly. (“With the widening portfolio of supported phones, we will have to rely on users of those phones feeding us up to date info to keep this document accurate.”) So here is my posting.

Your section on “Google, Motorola and Nexus Phones” did not seem to relate to my Motorola Defy XT.

"Access voicemail messages from the phone menu
"1. Tap the Phone icon.
"2. Tap the [Motorola phone dialer voicemail icon small] icon on the right hand side.
“3. Tap the [Motorola voicemail play button small] button on any voicemail item to hear the message.”
"4. To delete the message just heard, tap the [Motorola voicemail trash button small] button.

I do not know where the “phone menu” is. I did not know what a “Phone icon” was.
I could not see a blue icon (that looks like an old fashioned audio tape) on the right hand side.
I could not see a solid black arrow head icon (that looks like a VCR play button) on any voicemail item and I could not see any “voicemail items”.
I could not see any trash can icon resembling a trash can.

“Access voicemail messages in Active Display notifications (For Motorola phones only)

1. “Press and hold the Voicemail icon.
  2. “While continuing to hold the icon, swipe up.
  3. “Your phone will unlock and the voicemail message will begin to play.”

I do not know where the “Voicemail icon” is. I did not know how to hold an icon and swipe up

Your section on “Older Motorola Phones …” did not seem to relate to my phone (a Motorola Defy XT).

“When you receive a new voicemail, you’ll get a [ ] notification at the top of your screen. Swipe down from the top edge of the screen and tap on this notification, and the voicemail will start playing."
“Access voicemail messages from the phone menu

1. “Tap the Phone icon.
  2. “Tap the [ ] button at the top right corner of the Phone app.
  3. “Tap Call History.
  4. “Tap VOICEMAIL at the upper right.
  5. “Tap on a voicemail message.
  6. “Tap Listen.
  7. “To delete the message just heard, tap the [ ] at the upper right."

I never have received a notification icon (an old fashioned audio tape), yet I have over 100 voicemails.
I could not see a button (that looks three vertical dots) at the top right corner of the phone app.
I could not see a “Call History” link and I could not see any “VOICEMAIL at the upper right”.
I could not any “voicemail message” or any “Listen” icon to be tapped.

Please help me by giving the procedure for my Motorola Defy XT phone.

Visual Voicemail does not apply to the Defy (as a beta Phone is is still a beta product and no long seeing any updates that would be need to provide this feature)

that section is also only for 3.0 Motorola/Nexus/Google phones the Legacy phones are listed below as older Motorola phones (perhaps @amitl could add a line on the bottom explaining that it does not work on the Beta Phone (Motorola Defy)

updated above. For future reference, the OP is in Wiki format, so you can update it as you feel appropriate. I have updated the top comment to reflect the change.