Alternatives to Google Messenger

I don’t like Google Messenger. The color schemes are childish and it makes really poor use of available screen realestate. Every time I try another messaging app I get warnings saying it is not compatible with RW. Why aren’t other messaging APS compatible? Is there a viable alternative and can you disable the warning?

1 Like

Hi @drog,

I’m using Textra on my J3 and Ascend 5W. Other 3rd party apps I’ve seen referenced as working are Chomp, Evolve and Handcent. Settings tweaks with these apps may required to get MMS to work. I do not receive Republic’s nag to use Google Messenger when using Textra.

As for disabling the nag itself; doing so is possible on some but not all 3.0 phones. If available the setting is at Republic app -> Gear icon -> Advanced settings -> Show incompatible messenger.

Is there anything without these bubbles? I would like something a little more grown up and professional. The messaging app on my Moto E was perfect.

1 Like

@rolandh ,

Thanks for mentioning Textra again. Just downloaded to my X Pure, adjusted setting to fit my needs and sent/received several SMS/MMS messages. Seems to work well and has some nice features GM is missing.

1 Like

You can try Signal sms/mms app. Currently, I seem to be the only one having issue with this Signal app connecting to cell network. My family and friends do not seem to have this issue. I’m not certain if it’s my phone or activation process, etc. Try Signal and give your feedback.

drog wrote:

Is there anything without these bubbles?

If the Textra app you’d need to change notifications settings to get what you want. Just worked for me, no silly bubbles.

1 Like

@drog. You didn’t say what phone and plan you are on. If you are on a RW 2.0 plan and phone then your texting app choice is extremely limited. If you are on a 3.0 plan and phone you have lots more options. I use Textra on my nexus 6p and really like it. I have also tried Evolve and Handcent but prefer Textra

1 Like

Thank you. I have the Ascend 5w.

drog wrote:

Thank you. I have the Ascend 5w.

Give Textra a try. Just be sure to go into Settings, MMS, and change “MMS Behavior” to System. You will need to do the equivalent with most any texting app that you might try as well. With Textra, be sure to try the Textra Bot.

Message an
Expert customer