Alternatives to Republic Wireless

After the past several years, today was the final straw that will be driving my wife and I from Republic Wireless. I wanted to draw people’s attention to a couple possible alternatives, and to solicit feedback for equivalent (or better) carriers.

1. Google Fi. They have a base cost of $20 per month for the first line, plus $15 for each additional line. Data is a flat $10/GB, and you’re refunded on the data that you do not use. Their cheapest phone is the Nexus 5P (well reviewed) for $199.

2. Cricket Wireless. They have a tiered pricing structure, with $30/$40/$50/$60 getting you 1, 2.5, 8, and 10 GB of data, respectively. All tiers include unlimited talk and text in the US, while the two most expensive tiers include unlimited international texting and unlimited talk in the US, Canada, and Mexico.

Does anybody have any other carrier(s) they know about that may serve as a preferable alternative?

3 Likes

here’s a good resource on https://bestmvno.com/ and https://www.whistleout.com/

Prepaid Talk Text Data Plan | No Contract | Total Wireless

RingPlus Mobile

Page Plus Cellular - Prepaid Cell Phone Cards | Prepaid National Cell Phones | Page Plus Cellular

my backup is Cricket (where my wife is)

I know some are moving back to the Major carriers (even Verizon plans have come down some)

3 Likes

One person is going to Sprint and another to Verizon. The Verizon move works for a family of four. The Sprint move was an individual or couple.

Google Fi makes some sense if you travel a bit, since you have three carriers and I believe some Canada coverage.

Anyhow, there is no rule that says you have to have all your phones on the same network.

Finally heading off to Sprint - sad to go but have fond memories:)

Live Long and Prosper, my friends

There are plenty of alternatives. Happy shopping.

Compare Cell Phone Plans - Find The Best Cell Phone Plan | Wirefly

https://www.whistleout.com/CellPhones

3 Likes

the 2 examples of moving back to the majors carriers I was thinking of

“Let’s celebrate our newly independent company by running off all the customers.”

–Republic Wireless, 13 December 2016

6 Likes

Well a half a dozen people isn’t a stamped. I’ll still be here as long my two phones hold up and the cost remains reasonable.

However, I will agree they are not off to a good start.

I have republic and project Fi. Project Fi is awesome and if you travel you don’t have to worry about not having a phone. I’ve used my phone in Canada, Mexico and several of the BVI and Jamaica. I have the 5x with Google. You can add another line with them for crazy cheap i think like $5 a month on a second sim. If you have a problem project Fi is easy and fast to get help.

3 Likes

@derekande

There is a FI fan page where all the Fi talk is. Republic Wireless & Project Fi: Continuing the conversation

*** ~~ßocephous™***

As far as I know the Google Project Fi forums are open to all:

Google Groups

If you think the natives are restless here go check it out. Comparatively the RW forums are like Mayberry RFD.

3 Likes

All is not unicorns and rainbows at Project Fi?

3 Likes

Wasn’t for me. I don’t know how I found the patients to stick with them as long as I did.

I am currently using MintSIM. If you are happy with the T-Mobile network this is a pretty good deal. I purchased the sim card and 3 months of service with 2GB of LTE data for about $40 after the shipping and fees (this is a current half off promotion price to try them for 3 months). They have wifi calling that works very well (I have not tested any handing off, so I wouldn’t count on that). I am also able to set forwarding to my Google Voice # for voicemails (just like I did when I had Republic). I have pretty decent T-Mobile service any my area and after I used GoogleFi for a few months I found the phone most often was on T-Mobile, so figured I would save the money. Also, GoogleFi would only rarely use wifi for calls and from the message boards apparently their system is built to use any detectable cell service before wifi. The only real drawback to MintSIM is after the promotion in order to get the best deal you would have to pay for 1 year @ $199, but for 2GB of data. So, I am guessing about $210 after any fees that will end up at about $17.50 per month…not bad at all.

I don’t trust a company that swears in their promotions but if WiFi calling through your main dialer is important to you then they seem to be the only other game in town.

3 Likes

rolandh wrote:

All is not unicorns and rainbows at Project Fi?

Nowhere is “rainbows and unicorns”, as you put it, but my Project Fi service is a heck of a lot more reliable than my Republic service. Not to mention when I have a problem, I can call or chat with someone instantly and in real time. Sure, support isn’t perfect, and sometimes they give lame scripted responses (sound familiar?) but then again, since it is live support instead of email tag, I can tell them “Nope, that didn’t work. What next?” and move right along, instead of waiting hours or days between email volleys. Service issue? Credit is issued on-the-spot. Hardware problem? If you bought the phone from them, a replacement is offered.

In other words, they treat customers as, well, customers. Not as a bother. Not as an idiot, a liar, or a potential thief.

Not to mention the added REAL value of international calling, international roaming (at reasonable rates, too) and international data service at domestic rates. And real-time active switching among THREE different cellular carriers. Republic’s “added value”? WiFi calling. Oh, wait, Fi offers that, too (along with pretty much every carrier and MVNO nowadays)!

So overall, I’d have to agree - Project Fi is a better value and better overall experience. Republic once had an edge in innovation, but what have they innovated lately? It was fun being involved with a small startup, but they don’t seem to have any desire to work with customers anymore - to ask for (and implement) suggestions, to do real beta testing, to provide a reliable service, or even to anticipate how much stock to have on hand prior to an announce rollout of a new model.

3 Likes

macb wrote:

As far as I know the Google Project Fi forums are open to all:

Google Groups

If you think the natives are restless here go check it out. Comparatively the RW forums are like Mayberry RFD.

My comment was to keep the FI talk in one place, in a discussion all RW/ FI.

*** ~~ßocephous™***

Who “swears in their promotions”? link/quote/citation?

It is in the MintSIM promotions. They state things like “a good f@&ing deal. (We said foxing)”.

Only innuendo, no swearing. Their just “foxing” around with you.

My main concern is price and they are currently the cheapest game in town, because their one year price beats Republic’s price with no data and they are including 2GB. (this is the after taxes and fees prices, because their fees are coming out much cheaper.

4 Likes

Only problem I see is paying for a year in advance to a new player who might not be around for a year.

3 Likes

“[RW has treated me like a] … bother … idiot, a liar, or a potential thief.”

I don’t often reply to such comments, but, after 3 years of RW service, I have never found this to be true. Instead, I’ve seen RW support bend over backwards to try to make it right with customers. You may have had other experience that has caused you to feel this way. I just didn’t want other folks that might read this thread to get the idea that your comments apply to everyone.

4 Likes
Message an
Expert customer