Android 12 activated on my Pixel 3 without permission

Over the past 1-2 weeks my Google Pixel 3 kept asking me to update to Android 12.
I specifically declined each time. Later I noticed that I could not access my app drawer by swiping up. I learned from a post on Reddit that with Android 12, you swipe up from the middle of the screen instead of from the bottom. I then was able to open settings and learned that my phone was now using Android 12. I’m just wondering if this has happened to others. Apparently Google owns my phone, not me…

Hi @jeffreyb.hjfhrb,

I cannot say how long specifically Google allows one to decline installation of operating system updates. I can say from experience every major manufacturer eventually “forces” the update. This includes, Apple, Samsung and Motorola. I appreciate your frustration, however, this is not something limited to Google.

The manufacturer’s justification for the approach is security. It’s the way it is with every smartphone I’ve used.

1 Like

Thank you, Roland, for letting me know of your experience with companies other than Google. I’m not sure of how long Android 12 has been available but I thought it was very aggressive for Google to update my software without my permission as I was hoping to wait until it was debugged to some extent before having to learn how to navigate updated software.
Thanks!

1 Like

Hi @jeffreyb.hjfhrb,

You’re most welcome! For the sake of clarity, it’s not my position what you describe is the way things should be but it is, for better or worse, the way things are.

In Google’s and others opinion, moving things around when providing operating system updates is deemed to be an improvement rather than undesirable. Should you run into other differences with Android 12, I hope you’ll come back to the Community. Perhaps, some of us with Android 12 on our phones can, at least, point you in the right direction?

2 Likes
Message an
Expert customer