Android 6.0 for Moto-X2?

I would like to manually update my Republic MOTO-X2 to Android 6.0 (from 5.1) as Republic no longer supports OS updates for this phone. If I do this Android 6.0 manual update I cannot revert back to 5.1. If successful with the Android 6.0 update will it still be a “Republic Wireless” compatible and recognized phone?

jjjcabi

Hi @johnorangelac and welcome to the Community!

I’m afraid what you ask is not possible. Manually updating your X2’s operating system would first require unlocking its bootloader, which Motorola will not do.

Even were you to surmount that obstacle, Republic’s legacy phones (Moto E1, E2, G1, G3, X1 or X2) use custom firmware (ROM) to make them compatible with Republic’s blended WiFi/cell service. A manual update woulod remove those modifications.

2 Likes

Sigh!

2 Likes

Hi @johnorangelac,

I certainly appreciate wanting to update your phone’s operating system. That said, Android 6 Marshmallow is only slightly less long in the tooth than Android 5.1 Lollipop.

Have you considered upgrading your phone? I do understand that means giving up the grandfathered plan attached to the X2 for Republic’s My Choice plan.

There are some great deals out there on the X4, which would be a nice upgrade from the X2 and will upgrade to Android 9 Pie.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Message an
Expert customer