Android Functions - between Lollipop 5 & Nougat 7

Just got a Moto Z Play from Republic, migrating from an old Moto X (1st Gen). The old phone had Lollipop (Android 5.0). The new phone came with Marshmallow (Android 6.0), but there was an upgrade offered, so I upgraded to Nougat (Android 7.0). There are a few things which I would like to do on the new phone, but cannot figure out how. The upgrade went fine.

1. The old phone had a function that when I was at home, and a text message came in, I could say LISTEN and it would read the message out loud, and then I could also respond to the text verbally. Where is that function in the new Nougat?

2. The home screen used to be 5 pages, with the center one being MAIN, and I could go left 2 screens, and right 2 screens, for a total of 5 screens. With Nougat, there are only 3 home screens, with the left one forcing one to Google. I would like to go to the 5 screens as before. Is there any way to do that?

3. On the old phone, the Apps button showed a tab for Apps and a Tab for Widgets. In the new Nougat, when hitting the Apps button, there are no Tabs, and it only shows Apps. Any way for the Apps button to show both Apps and Widgets?

4. On the new phone, the Apps show with a white background, the old phone black background. Any way to have the Nougat show a black background?

0 Likes

I don’t have a Moto Z to check, but in the past all the Moto products have featured a very helpful Help App on the phone.

• Watch a tutorial. Read a how-to. Find out anything about your phone.
  • Find it: Apps > Help (the big blue ?)
2 Likes

2-4 are functions of the launcher (the moto x 1st ran the jellybean launcher as the launchers don’t change when there is a os update)
To get to the widgets one will long press on an open area of a home screen
One can at as many home screens they want now , as one is adding content to home screens just drag it off screen and a new home screen should be created
As for the white background in app drawer this is a google design and not changeable with the default (nougat launcher) but this can be done in many third party launchers like the nova launcher
As fore the list ion on incoming text I believe this was done by the moto voice and it may need to be setup in the moto app if the new phone has the feature

2 Likes

1. If your Z has the Moto app, you might be able to get it to read texts to you. It will not do what Moto X did exactly.

2. You should be able to get 5 screens again. Go to the App Draw, :appsicon: Choose an app by giving it a long press. The option to move it to another screen should present itself. You can continue this process by adding at least one app to each new screen. You need to have an app sitting on each new desktop to keep the desktop.

3. To get to Widgets, Settings and Wallpapers give the desktop a long press.

4. You might find this under Settings > Display, I’m not too sure as I don’t have a Z.

Even though the guide is on your phone, here is a link to the User Manual that you can download to a computer:

1 Like

closed #5

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

0 Likes

Message an
Expert customer