Android version is OLD?

What phone do you have? Moto E4

What plan are you on? My Choice + 1 GB

Does your plan include data, or just talk & text? Data

Issue Description

OS is Nougat 7.1.1 but there have been FOUR updates and we JUST got our phones.
Why do they not have more recent releases?

Nougat – 7.1.2 August 22, 2016
Oreo 8.0 & 8.1 August 21, 2017
Pie 9.0 August 6, 2018|28|

If these are available how do I install the latest?

Um since Lenovo bought Motorola I really can’t believe anything said till it actually happens. I googled the G4 update schedule and came across this.
Motorola quietly dropped support for the Moto G4 line despite promising an Oreo update

I do not think the E4 is getting Oreo, but it might. Pie, forget it.

If you want a phone that stays up to date, you will need to buy a Google Pixel.

Also, this info may be useful to you:

These phones were BRAND NEW less than two months ago and didn’t even have the prior Android that was released a year ago? Absolutely unforgivable!!! Last Moto product I will EVER buy!!!

Republic should be ashamed for selling these obsolescent products!!!

The Moto E4 was released in June/August of 2017 before the release of Oreo (Android 8.0)
Motorola has not in the past has not release any OS updates on their budget line [Moto E us a budget line phone]

Motorola release any update I would go ask them why [you can do this though the device help app on the phone]

Other option would be to root and install a 3rd party ROM which had risk and Republic will not support if you run into issues

Edit to add Motorola rule of thumb is
Budget phones is security updates about 1 year
Midline phones security updates for 2 years with one OS major update
Flagship phones have 2-3 years of security updates and 2 major OS updates
There have been exceptions but this is their current plans

There are plenty of new phones that are running old OS.
Infact, most of the currently active Android deices in the world, only 11% of them are even running Oreo.
Pie is too new to even be on the official chart it seems.

So, honesty, 7.1.2 is “current” version for most devices out there.
Like I said, if updates is a big concern to you, get a Pixel, they get monthly updates and are the very first phone to get updates straight form Google.

Republic don’t make the phones or the timelines. They buy a calculated supply of phones and sell them. Most people are happy with Android 7.1.1 but a few want the latest releases. To get them you need to buy a more expensive phone with more flagship status to receive the whole ball of wax…
Please read my article linked in a previous posting in this thread as it is very interesting to many of your questions.

Phone manufacturers don’t make money by updating phones with the latest OS. There’s little incentive for them to do so. I have a $99 phone running Android 6.0. It does everything my Pixel running Android 9.0 does (well, at least anything I need a phone to do).

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.