Any downsides or risks with BYOP?

Are there any downsides to BYOP?

I checked the coverage where I live and where I travel, and it looks like GSM (T-Mobile network) is better than Sprint/CDMA.

Right now, due to sales, buying an unlocked & inactivated Moto G7 / G7 Power / G7 Play phone from Best Buy or Motorola is less expensive than buying from Republic Wireless. Do I give up anything if I don’t get the phone through Republic Wireless? I assume that Best Buy or Motorola only sell US versions of the phone(s) to US customers (unlike Amazon).

I’m replacing a Republic Wireless Moto X, 1st Gen. Obviously my RW 2.0 phone plan has to change to the 4.0 plan. I can still keep my number if I BYOP, right?

The only risk in BYOP is that you have to make sure on your own that you are buying a compatible phone, I strongly recommend going through this very useful resource put together by a fellow member

As for downside (and these are not necessarily downsides but just additional aspects to consider)
a) You need to also buy an RW SIM card either from RW or from Amazon
b) If you need a CDMA SIM card then the only way to obtain it is it submit a help ticket
which is a non-issue for your…since you have already determined that GSM is going to work better for you.

That’s right…you will have the opportunity to do so at the time of activation as long as you use the exact same RW account to activate the new phone.

The Moto G series phones lack NFC…so you won’t be able to use it for services
such as contactless Google Pay. Just something to be aware of since you are coming from the X1 which does have NFC.

Yeah, I noticed that about NFC. I never use it.

The Moto X also supported 802.11ac, which the Moto G7 line does not. Right now my router is only 802.11n, so it doesn’t matter (at home).

On the BYOP verification page for the Moto G7 Play, it says “Note: Not all software channels of this phone are compatible with Republic Wireless. See what channels are supported.”

What is a software channel?

Hi @jamesp.ueanfw,

A software channel is a designation Motorola uses to determine which Android updates a phone will receive. Sometimes updates are specific to a certain carrier. For example, Consumer Cellular phones have the software channel “cc” and are not compatible with our service because the operating system is configured specifically for Consumer Cellular.

3 Likes

Is there a way to know the software channel before buying the phone?

The Help article titled “How to Find the Software Channel on Motorola Phones” requires me to own the phone and start using it before checking the software channel. Would there be anything written on the packaging saying “Software Channel: XX”?

I’m guessing that the software channel is RETUS if I buy directly from Motorola or buy an inactivated Moto from Best Buy. But if I buy from a competing carrier’s store or buy a phone from Best Buy that is activated with another carrier’s network, then I get a carrier-specific software channel that may be incompatible with Republic Wireless. Is that correct?

If you buy straight from Motorola and they list the phone as unlocked, or you buy FIRST PARTY from Best Buy or Amazon and they list as unlocked, you’ll be fine. The risk is when buying from a 3rd party on Best Buy or Amazon or on eBay. In these cases sellers have been known to purchase bulk Consumer Celllular or Mexican market phones and unlock them and then sell them as “factory unlocked” even though they’re not.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Message an
Expert customer