Any plans without data?

I think my Moto G 1 st gen phone has finally died which means I will have to change plans (I have an original $10/mo plan right now) as I doubt I can change my sim card to a new phone. It looks like all the plans come with data now but I don’t need data. I have had the same phone and plan for 6.5 years so I know I don’t need data. Furthermore, I don’t want it. I don’t want my email and social media apps connecting when I’m not on wi-fi.
Is there a plan with no data that I’m just not seeing? If not, is there a way to make a phone think there is no data? I left the big carriers for Republic Wireless because I could get a plan without data and the big carriers all required data plans.

You are correct about not being able to move your Moto G1’s SIM card. In fact, it has no SIM card to move.

You are also correct, all of Republic’s currently offered plans come with cell data.

Not currently

It’s quite possible to turn cell data off in a phone’s settings. You would, however, still be paying for a minimum of 1 GB of cell data whether used or not. Currently, Republic’s least expensive plan is $20 plus taxes and regulatory recovery fees for unlimited talk & text and 1 GB of cell data. There is a 50% discount on a second line of service meaning for two phones housed in the same account talk & text and 1 GB of cell data is $30 (effectively $15 each).

If Republic’s new 5.0 plans do not offer an attractive option for you and I don’t say this lightly, you would need to consider alternative service providers. There are alternative service providers who do offer talk & text only plans.

You may also want to open a ticket with Republic explaining you neither want or need cell data. Perhaps, Republic might be able to work something out with you?

Thank you for your detailed reply. I have no need for a 2nd line - I barely have a need for one line. I have already started looking for an alternative service provider.

I too have a Moto G 1 st gen phone and hoping it never dies. What are the signs that your phone was dying? A couple of times my phone has indicated that there is a problem with the sim card and I have never removed or changed the original sim card --is that the indicator the phone is dying? Thanks

the Moto G 1st Gen has no SIM as it a CDMA (2G/3G) only phone and SIMs are GSM/LTE (a CDMA SIM is actually a LTE SIM from a CDMA carrier)

the Moto G 1st gen may not die but the Network it uses is scheduled by it’s current owner T-Mobile to be shut down on March 31st of 2022 (less than 3 months) this date has been extended once (it was Dec 31st 2021) , when this happens the phone will no longer work except as a mini tablet

Thanks drm186, I have a Moto X and when looking for the sim card, there is no sim card indicated, despite earlier today when restarting the phone indicated there was an issue with the sim card and recommending that I reinsert it. Well, this has been a great little phone and will miss it. Guess I’m looking for a new phone, any suggestions?

the Moto X (1st and 2nd GEN) do have a SIM card that link to the phone for LTE data only they do not support VoLTE and relay on the CDMA 2G/3G network for Cell Voice, once the CDMA 2G/3G network is taken down they too will stop working except as a mini android tablet

1 Like

So helpful. I followed these instructions another RW poster wrote:
To check sim type: Open the Republic app > tap the “gear” icon at the top > tap “About”
What does it say under “SIM Type” underneath your phone number? GSM or CDMA?
(**there is no ‘SIM Type’ indicated under the phone number which is what lead me to believe there’s no sim card)
If GSM, you can continue your plan into the future.
If CDMA, then the SIM won’t work after T-Mobile shuts down the former Sprint network and you’ll need new service.

the 1.0/2.0 legacy phones (Moto X 1st and 2nd gen, Moto E 1st and 2nd Gen, and the Moto G 1st, and 3rd Gen) are all CDMA based phones (there was no sim type as these phones only had one option at the time those instructions are for the 3.0/4.0 My Choice phones)
the 1.0/2.0 legacy phones do not support VoLTE and will stop working once sprints old 2G/3G network is shut down at the end of March by it’s current owner T-Mobile
the 3.0/4.0 phones do support VoLTE and will continue to work on sprints old 4G LTE network until T-mobile shuts it down at the end of June

Guess I’m looking for a new phone, any suggestions?

personally I have not been happy with my most recent Moto base phones (Moto Z plays 2nd and 3rd Gen) and have moved to Samsung OEM (my current is a Galaxy S21 my Wife is using a A51 (on cricket but we are probably going to move it to Republic now it 5.0 plans are on AT&T network) and My Mom has a A42 5G (on Verizon prepay) and so far we are happy with them, had bad luck with a Google 4A (a splash of water took it out and that soured us on those phones but other do like them and their interface is very similar to a Motorola’s) (of course a major difference between android 5 vs 11/12)

I will note any new phone on Republic will be using their 5.0 Plans with AT&T coverage (vs the sprint coverage of 1.0/2.0 and CDMA 3.0/4.0 or the T-Mobile coverage of GSM 3.0/4.0)