Anyone try Altice Moble (Cable Company Provided)?

I hope it’s not crude to speak of competitors too much but knowing the value centric nature of this community I wondered if anyone has tried this or a service like it? So it’s unlimited (50GB) of mobile data a month, voice, and text for $20 if you’re a cable customer, $30 if you’re not. They do iphones, samsung s9 & s10, and moto e6 and g7 play. Sounds great, right?

The downside i’ve seen so far is that on a scale of 0-10 for customer service they seem to register at a 0.1, lol. Chat only and if you don’t port your number at the time of activiation they bang you out for a new sim and activation fee. I see there is a Spectrum mobile so I’m curious as if anyone else has seen these ad’s around their area?

Edit: Here is their disclosure in case i’m missing something.

Seems just like what Comcast does with Xfinity Mobile…with them, so i read, u just pay for data package, either per GB or for unlimited. There is no line service fee. BUt you have to have their home catv and internet service…to which, they always raise the prices every year, and add fees out of no where (like charging you $20 a month to watch the free over the air channels). Best to get as far away from those CATV/ISP company bundles as u can…it is pretty much extortion.

interesting point. in my area i have cable and fios. I only use internet, no tv. I find myself “stuck” to cable since i use all of their wi-fi hotspots with my Republic phone. i see what you mean about having all of your eggs in one basket but I also feel like i’m stuck with them as it is.

Some areas, well, alot of areas, they are a monopoly and u have no other option for any of those services. Thankfully, where I live, there are several options to chose from for such services.

I have never had Xfinity internet, but my grandparents do, as the area they live in, Comcast is the only ISP in the area. I just created a secondary user under their account, my own login, and use that to access any Xfinity hotspot. It not illegal or against any TOS, they called Comcast and asked them, it is fine for family members to have a secondary user and to use the benefits of it, such as hotspot access or online TV stream via thier website if the owner of the account authorizes it.

So, if you have a family member, or close friend, nearby, that still has Cable internet ISP, u may be able to work something out like that. I do not know about Spectrum or Cox, in how they work for their hotspot login requirements…but I would think they would have a similar option for a secondary user or family share.

1 Like

Most everyone I know we’ll enough to ask this has Verizon strangely enough. My brother in law may have cable but he’s a… I’ll save @southpaw the trouble of moderating :laughing:.

So I’m two days in to Altice and I have to say I’m not disappointed. It’s not for everyone. I bought a new g7 play to bring on to it (as Altice and Republic both support it). Sign up was way presumably as I couldn’t port my number. Not that isn’t a complaint, I know there are work aroundd but I don’t mind changing phone numbers now and again.

This service really isn’t for normal folks. While you can sign up in the store the rep in the store can’t do anything except direct you to the online chat if you have an issue. I’ll be interested to see how the roaming works out. I don’t travel much but when you need it you need it.

Hi @jco42,

Thanks for the update! I’m curious; did Altice provide a reason for not being able to port your Republic number? Have they chosen not to do so as a matter of policy like Cricket Wireless and Hello Mobile? There is no technical reason, I’m aware of they couldn’t port a Republic number if they so choose.

Ha! No. It was simply a box that said yes or no. My wife’s Verizon number qualified. My memory may be fuzzy but isn’t there an issue with Republic being considered a VOIP provider? When I wanted to transfer my VOIP “landline” number to Google voice I had to go through tracphone first.

No you’re memory isn’t fuzzy. VoIP numbers even used exclusively on mobile devices are deemed by the FCC to be landlines (wireline is the more correct telecom term). There is no technical reason wireline numbers cannot be ported and, in fact, they are every day.

Some individual service providers such as Google Voice, Cricket Wireless, Hello Mobile and, perhaps Altice have made a policy choice not to port wireline numbers.

Google Voice, in particular, is an interesting case as they host phone numbers on the very same network Republic does (Bandwidth.com).

If you don’t mind continuing to satisfy my curiosity and without sharing your Altice number publicly; would you be willing to share the carrier it’s hosted with? You may use this website to find that out: https://apeiron.io/lrn

For example, here is the output for one of my household’s Republic numbers:

{
“alt_lerg_carrier_name”: null,
“alt_spid”: " ",
“alt_spid_carrier_name”: " ",
“alt_spid_category”: " ",
“as_of_date”: “2020-01-23”,
“city”: “SUFFERN”,
“lata”: “132”,
“lrn”: ■■■■■■■■■■■■,
“ported_on_date”: “2019-06-13T05:01:00.000Z”,
“porting_status”: “YES”,
“primary_lerg_carrier_name”: “CSC WIRELESS, LLC”,
“primary_spid”: “425J”,
“primary_spid_carrier_name”: " ",
“primary_spid_category”: “WIRELESS”,
“state”: “NY”
}

1 Like

If you wouldn’t mind indulging mine… What do you think? I remember when Dolan split the company and put the cable part in CSC. Article

Altice is definitely doing something different from what Comcast and Charter have done with their mobile offerings. Both Comcast and Charter host mobile numbers directly on Verizon’s network. I have seen reports that Altice built its own “core” and CSC Wireless, LLC pretty much confirms that.

In a sense what Altice is doing is similar to Republic in that numbers are hosted separately from the cellular network(s) providing coverage. My understanding is Altice’s coverage is primarily with Sprint but that it has a roaming arrangement with AT&T where Sprint’s coverage is weak. It’s unclear whether there’s active switching between AT&T’s and Sprint’s networks as Google Fi does.

As I mentioned previously, Republic numbers are hosted with Bandwidth.com and Bandwidth’s network is used for WiFi calling and text messaging. Republic’s cellular coverage is provided via network partnerships with T-Mobile or Sprint and for voice and text messaging roaming their respective roaming partners. Republic does not have direct roaming agreements nor does Republic’s service actively switch between T-Mobile’s and Sprint’s networks. It’s an either or choice depending upon the Republic SIM type one’s phone is provisioned with.

Bandwidth is deemed by the FCC to be a wireline (landline) carrier rather than wireless. It seems Altice has won recognition from the FCC for CSC as being a wireless carrier.

My educated guess is Altice deems yours and other Republic numbers ineligible for transfer because of their wireline designation. Again, this would be a policy choice on their part not a technical limitation. It’s perfectly possible to port a wireline number to a wireless carrier and vice versa.

Another less likely possibility is your former Republic number is in a geographic area not served by Altice. Only Altice would be able to definitively answer what they mean by ineligible.

5 Likes

Wow thank you for that.

My area code is still the same so I would think geography wouldn’t be an issue?

1 Like

You’re most welcome! And, thank you, for bringing the situation with Altice to the Community’s attention. It looks as if an update is needed here:

Folks here who may be unfamiliar with the Wiki should know, it is not official Republic documentation nor is the content there in any way sponsored or officially endorsed by Republic Wireless.

That said, the content on the Wiki is an effort maintained by fellow Republic Community members. I am the author of the article I linked.

The referenced geographic area is more specific than area code. It’s something called a rate center, which is determined by the area code and exchange (first six digits) of one’s ten-digit phone number.

Still, I’m 95% certain, your case is explained by the wireline status of Republic’s numbers.

1 Like

The sign up process was totally automated. There was no choice of number. The only difference between signing up at the store and signing up online was that the agent filled the form out for me and I could get the SIM right there. No troubleshooting the port, no choice of new number.

“You get what you get and you don’t get upset”

I understand that like Republic the sign up process with Altice is automated and done online. Just as you’ve received answers here, however, someone at Altice should be able to explain the specific reason they deemed your Republic number to be ineligible for porting to their service.

If a company I’m doing business with or contemplating doing business with is unwilling or unable to explain why they do things the way they do them, I’m not inclined to become or remain a customer. As long as there are market alternatives, I don’t do:

Having said that, I do appreciate the pricing offered by Altice and other cable companies as they move into providing mobile service is attractive. A cynic might point out their pricing has to be very attractive to overcome their legendary reputations for providing a less than stellar customer experience.

1 Like

Being a Spectrum customer , I’d have to say "no, I’d never consider a cable solution "
:zipper_mouth_face:

1 Like

I’ve been with republicwireless.com since 12/2013.
We have loved and saved 1000’s and 1000’s of $$$.
Recently, Spectrum Cable has been offering $45 unlimited all flat rate or now if you have any Spectrum like Internet you can get unlimited talk and text with 1 gig data for $14 flat and $10 start fee. They use Verizon and my coworker just switched from republicwireless.com talk/text/1 gig for $22 to this. I’m waiting for his opinion. So far he says better phone calls everywhere. Period.
Help!
No!
I love republicwireless.com
I love my moto 3 Z play and JBL Soundboost 2 speaker1 along with the other mods.
I don’t much care about phone calls over texting.
However, phone calls on republicwireless.com are not great. Period.

• note: if your phone number was from a wireless network prior to republicwireless.com then it’s probably easy to port.
    Otherwise it’s a VOIP number.

This is an issue that you’re having. Not an accurate statement about Republic service. My calls are clear, nearly always.

This is incorrect. Once a number is moved to Republic it is a VoIP number. Whether a new carrier has a problem porting it is in the hands of the new carrier, but where the number originally came from makes no difference at all.

Hmmm,
Ok, we’ll all I’m aware of is the 9 families I have referred to republicwireless.com here in San Bernardino mountains. Everyone here complains about the call chopping or dropping here. Verizon still works standing next to any of us.
We all have high speed Internet to help make up for the lacking Sprint/T-mobile.
Maybe it just Motorola phones then?

As for the number transfer you may be right. All I know for sure is that we all had cellular numbers ported to republicwireless.com and they seem to port out just fine.

Hi @jamesh.2p9585,

Coverage with neither of our cellular partners looks particularly robust in your immediate area. If another service is able to offer strong coverage in your area, it’s definitely worth looking into.

Thank you for your time with us, and for referring your friends all along.

3 Likes
Message an
Expert customer