Anywhere app for Linux?

rw_anywhere

Anywhere app for Linux?

Hi @mitchellm.y8c1qd,

Not yet but I do believe it’s on the to do list. For now, macOS and Windows on the desktop.

I second this one! Ubuntu specifically.

Thanks @jimk and @mitchellm.y8c1qd …I’ll make sure to share with our Anywhere Dev team.

I need this in my life.

Any crime going on in here? I brought batarangs.

Thanks for joining the community @Batman …glad to have you in The Republic.

WhatsApp does this with a web application so there’s no platform dependency.

I would like a linux version too. Or why not a cross-platform web app?

I don’t know about all the issues of course, but one downside to a web app is that you have to have your browser open to the page all the time. With a native application, you can get ‘startup at boot’ and ‘native notifications’ and things like that. But perhaps the developers can answer this better than I can.

Through my world class detective skills and Alfred’s help I was able to find the information you require.

Back to hunting criminals and making the city safe for the children.

So the claim “Connect where you are, on any device” made in the Republic email is untrue.

Unless I’m missing something, existing applications (that work with Republic Wireless) already provide this functionality. For example, Signal has a web app and mobile clients. It provides (secure, encrypted) messaging and voice calls, and works on Windows, MacOS, Linux (even Chromebooks), as well as Android and iOS.

So what exactly does Anywhere bring to the table?

I’m also voicing my support for a Linux version of “anywhere”.

The ability to access your texts (and eventually calls) when your phone is off. It syncs directly with a server so even when your phone is dead, you can access your texts (and eventually calls). I may be mistaken, but I don’t believe some of the other applications have that ability.

If that’s a consideration, why not send/receive texts and calls via Google Voice or Google Hangouts - which do provide that functionality?

Because you would rather have one number with Republic? Google Voice does use up a portion of your monthly data whereas receiving calls and texts with Republic doesn’t (they may use data, but it won’t count against your monthly allotment). I ported in from Google Voice.

Google Voice does call forwarding, and you can port a number (though we prefer to only give out our GV number so we never have to port). Since voice calling is unlimited on most plans these days, there’s no data usage (unless you’re non-SMS chatting).

That is true. As far as texting goes though, I am pretty sure that used up data.

I was excited to get the email notification for this app until I realized it’s not yet available for Linux/Ubuntu, etc. Soon, I hope…?