App use during phone call

What phone do you have? Samsung Galaxy S8

What plan are you on? My Choice +1GB

Does your plan include data, or just talk & text? data

Issue Description

This has happened twice, now. In the middle of a call, I try to use either Anywhere or Protonmail, and Anywhere will tell me I need a data connection, and the latter will just be suspended in the “refresh” mode while trying to retrieve emails. As soon as I end the call, both apps begin to work properly. Do I have a setting preventing me from multitasking like that?

Thanks,

Christian

If you’re using the CDMA network, you may have a problem using voice and data at the same time. You may try enabling VoLTE on your phone, if it isn’t already enabled. If you’re in a market that supports VoLTE, enabling the feature should allow voice and data simultaneously.

Settings > Connections > Mobile networks > Enable VoLTE calls (if available).

1 Like

It looks like RW doesn’t support VoLTE, currently. My connection is set to automatic. My other choices include CDMA/LTE, GSM/something else. So, if I need to use voice and data simultaneously, I’ll have to choose GSM.

Yeah, I’m not sure Sprint rolled out VoLTE to all of their markets, or whether your model Galaxy S8 was compatible with Sprint’s VoLTE. GSM would give you that capability, assuming you are in an area with good GSM coverage.

For the sake of clarity, Republic does support VoLTE. There are a couple of Republic compatible phones, Samsung’s 2016 Galaxy J3 and Huawei’s Ascend 5W that don’t support VoLTE. Beyond that, @cbwahlstrom is correct, Sprint didn’t get VoLTE rolled out in all its’ markets prior to its’ acquisition by T-Mobile.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Message an
Expert customer