Apps not responding

What phone do you have? Moto G5+

What plan are you on? 1GB

Does your plan include data, or just talk & text? Data included

Issue Description

As of this morning, a bunch of my apps are so slow to respond that the “App not responding” window comes up. I’ve restarted the phone, shut it off for a few minutes, and even cleared the system cache through recovery mode. Some have been slow and some seem downright frozen. What else should I do?

Apps having the issue: Castbox, Kindle, Camera
Apps NOT having any issue: Messages, Mint, Google Voice, Google Calendar

Hi @Rood15,

The next step I’d try is uninstalling the affected apps or their updates, restarting the phone, then reinstalling via Google Play.

Is that necessary even with the phone’s camera app? Also, I’m probably going to lose everything that I’ve downloaded, preferences, etc if I uninstall, right?

Ordinarily I suggest starting with clearing the Android system cache but you mentioned doing so already. You might try safe mode to see if a third party app is interfering. Otherwise, I’m trying to provide an option short of a factory reset.

1 Like

Fair enough. I do appreciate the help. I will try safe mode and if that doesn’t work, uninstall those apps.

1 Like

I started by trying to uninstall the Kindle app. I hit uninstall, and the pop up that it was uninstalling came up. It seemed to be stuck there, but I had to go to an appointment and left it alone. Over an hour later, I took my phone out of my pocket, and it was (and still is) stuck on the startup screen cycling between Lenovo and the Motorola emblem. What should I do?

In hindsight, when I cleared the system cache, it seemed to do it almost instantly, but I thought it was supposed to take more time. I’m not sure if that was a sign that something was wrong.

I never tried safe mode because I was away from a computer and didn’t have instructions handy.

Hi @Rood15,

Ugh, I’m sorry to hear this. If you hold the power button down until the screen blanks or you feel the phone vibrate, then immediately release, does the phone power down?

1 Like

The phone shut down and automatically went through the regular start up process. It made it to a black homescreen (where I see the time and the function buttons at the bottom of the screen) but took about a minute or more to get into my regular home screen with icons and wallpaper. It was also like this earlier.

Should I try safe mode now?

I’m happy to hear your phone rebooted normally (sort of). You might try safe mode but I’m not confident that’s going to help. You’re correct that, generally, a system cache clear should have taken longer than it sounds like it did. If it were my phone, I’d try that again first. If that didn’t improve circumstances, I’d go nuclear and factory reset. I don’t say that lightly as I understand how disruptive doing so is. That said, with all you describe going on, you may just want to bite the bullet.

Sigh. I tried to clear the system cache again and same thing happened. I guess it’s a good thing that I try to err on using mostly google apps, but I’m most bummed to redo all my settings.

I use an SD card in the phone. Should I remove that before I do the factory reset?

Also, any idea how this sort of problem happens? I’d love to avoid this in the future.

Update: I tried doing a factory reset from the settings menu, and it had the same effect as trying to clear the system cache–very quick and nothing seemed to change. I appreciate further guidance.

Hi @Rood15
If you tried the factory reset from within the OS (under the phone setting)
I would try a HARD reset as described here. You start with the phone off.
Hard Reset MOTOROLA Moto G5 Plus
It the last thing I can think of to try… @rolandh has driven you all the way down the right road. :crossed_fingers:

Thank you to you both @rolandh and @SuperT. My phone has been totally reset. Hopefully this clears up the issues.

Thanks!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Message an
Expert customer