Are Boosters effective

What phone do you have? Moto G6 Play

What plan are you on? Text and Talk

Does your plan include data, or just talk & text? No data

Issue Description

Are boosters any help on these phones? I have noticed some places I used to get AT&T service don’t work any longer.
Also I have noted that I generally get service well when it says LTE and most times when on 3G. Sometimes I have weak LTE and I can’t call out and I figure a booster would help like it did when I was in Nevada.

What type of booster did you have in mind. If for a fixed location, Republic’s service is designed to leverage WiFi for calls and text messaging, so that one isn’t entirely reliant on cellular signal where that may be weak. Do you have WiFi access at the location(s) you would use a booster?

Neither of Republic’s cellular network partners is AT&T. Previous access to AT&T’s network would have been through roaming agreements with Republic’s GSM network partner. Roaming agreements do change from time to time and Republic has no control over this.

This is the expected experience.

Maybe, maybe not. Would you care to share a zip code where you’re having this experience. Perhaps, there’s another solution.

1 Like

Yes I know, I use it with my WiFi and see how it would work on other WiFi’s, provided one has the passwords.
The only thing that works around here is AT&T and I was surprised that my CDMA card worked fine in Franklin WV 26807 which seems to only carry AT&T, then it worked well in Monterey VA, which only has Verizon.
I noticed a weak LTE signal in the area I usually call from but wasn’t able to connect so in the distant past I used a booster and that was effective at times. It was made by Wilson Electronics, I see they have one called 'weBoost
now.

Hi @rsagebrush,

Thanks for the additional context! I’m somewhat familiar with Wilson Electronics equipment. It has a good reputation, works with any cellular network and might sufficiently boost a weak signal. Republic doesn’t own a cellular network, so it cannot suggest equipment for boosting cellular signals.

You mention both AT&T and Verizon. In either case, you’re using roaming coverage, which is always going to be best effort. Republic works with two cellular network partners. One operates a GSM network, the other a CDMA network. Depending upon location Republic’s CDMA partner might have roaming agreements with Verizon. AT&T operates a GSM network that would be incompatible with your CDMA SIM. Neither of Republic’s partners is AT&T or Verizon.

I certainly appreciate the loyalty, however, if you need coverage provided by AT&T’s or Verizon’s network, you might want to consider buying service from one of them or another service provider who unlike Republic uses one of their networks for native coverage. Indeed, neither of Republic’s cellular network partners has what I would consider to be acceptable coverage in your area.

1 Like

Thanks for your efforts. The Republic phone does the work of both AT&T and Verizon as if I have one of those it doesn’t work in the other’s area. so currently I am impressed and quite happy.
I think I will try a booster for a month and see what transpires.

1 Like

On the same phone or do you have more than one Republic phone? I ask because, it’s not supposed to be possible for the same Republic phone using the same SIM to roam on both AT&T and Verizon.

1 Like

Same phone, Weird huh, but true as far as I can tell, I didn’t think it would work either, one or the other, but it did both areas full bore. Something else may be in plasy.
Although it’s certainly not an area with a big profit margin (sparse population) for the major cell companies, they simply cut us no deals on price so I won’t miss them at all. ■■■■ we just got high speed cable 2.5 years ago.
Anyways service stinks here because of the mountains and the quite zone around Greenbanks observatory.
All I can say so far is I am impressed.

In theory, it’s technically impossible. Well, in theory, it would be possible but only on LTE and only if reciprocal roaming agreements were in place, which as far as I know the only LTE roaming agreement in place is between T-Mobile and U. S. Cellular. May I ask how you know your phone is roaming on both AT&T and Verizon?

1 Like

Probably is so I have no idea but here (Franklin) if you don’t have AT&T you have no service and there Monterey if you don’t have verizon you have no service.
In any event I am happy with the system as it now stands.

The good news is, the coverage isn’t as bad as your think. You’re only roaming on AT&T or Verizon, in both locations. We can tell you which if you go open the Republic App on your phone, hit the gear and then About. If the SIM Type says “GSM” then you’re roaming on AT&T (or potentially another small regional GSM provider) and if it says “CDMA” then you’re roaming on Verizon (or perhaps a small regional CDMA carrier).

1 Like

Actually I believe the coverage is much better considering that I have had and used both other carriers previously.
The only reason I picked up AT&T was because when I finally got actual high speed internet cable service I could get a satellite link through AT&T with their no longer offered microcell.
Coverage will always ■■■■ in very mountainous terrain as it is determined by line of site.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Message an
Expert customer