Are my Republic days numbered?

I have a Moto E, and will be ready for a new phone soon. I am currently on the $10 plan, which is no longer available. I understand that the new phones and plans have different carriers, and I checked the coverage map. Here in rural central NY, there’s no coverage. I’m fine with data being wifi only, but I do need to call and text when I’m out and about! So, am I misunderstanding and get to stay with Republic? Or will I be forced to find a new provider?

If you have acceptable coverage with your current Moto E…you should monitor this and related info.

Republic Wireless 3.0 CDMA Update

@stephanieb.p1tc1g , Your days aren’t necessarily numbered. Currently some new phones ordered from RW are shipping with the soft launch of 3.0 CDMA and the future looks bright. Plans may be a bit more expensive for no/low data users but come with better phones and added benefits.

In addition to what @amitl suggests you can get a better idea of the coverage each may have to offer in your area of use.

Present GSM - 4G LTE Coverage Map | Check Your 4G LTE Cell Phone Coverage | T-Mobile

Future(?) CDMA - https://coverage.sprint.com/IMPACT.jsp

Not sure about GSM, but on the old plans you do get roaming for voice and text. BUT, roaming uses more battery and calls can’t hand off from one roaming tower to another like native calls. Generally speaking, it’s a bad idea to get a phone that will be roaming where you spend most of your time.

if a current Customer ordering one of the following phone in an area that CDMA is better coverage vs GSM then the phone should be configured as CDMA (and if not create a help ticket and see if republic can correct it)

Phones that have been confirm to sometimes be shipped with CDMA are

Moto G4, Moto G4 Plus, Moto X Pure, Nexus 5X and Nexus 6P

Phones that have CDMA radios but have not been ship out by republic

Samsung Galaxy S7 and Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge

Note the Moto G4 Play has yet to be ship from republic and is current unconfirmed if it will see CDMA shipments (though it is likely seeing the other 2 Moto G4 line are)

**edit Republic spec now list the Moto G4 Play as CDMA compatible Moto G PLAY (4th Gen.) Tech Specs **

the Phones that will always be GSM are

Huawei Ascend 5W, Samsung Galaxy S6, Samsung Galaxy J3, Moto Z and Moto Z Play

All BYOD SIMs are currently GSM {all phones above and the Nexus 6, Pixel, Pixel XL

Thank you! I will keep my fingers crossed that my phone and my patience can hold out. I live in a black hole of coverage so without CDMA I’ll be out of luck. (Hear that, Republic??)

@stephanieb.p1tc1g as a current Customer ordering one of the following phones from Republic in an area that CDMA is better coverage vs GSM then the phone should be configured as CDMA (and if not create a help ticket and see if republic can correct it)

Phones that have been confirm to sometimes be shipped with CDMA are

Moto G4, Moto G4 Plus, Moto G4 Play, Moto X Pure, Nexus 5X, Nexus 6P, Samsung Galaxy S7 and Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge

the Phones that will always be GSM are

Huawei Ascend 5W, Samsung Galaxy S6, Samsung Galaxy J3, Moto Z and Moto Z Play

All BYOD SIMs are currently GSM {all phones above and the Nexus 6, Pixel, Pixel XL}

if someday Republic get a CDMA BYOD the Nexus 6, Pixel, Pixel XL should be able to use CDMA but that not today and may not be for some time

this is an update from my earlier post

Message an
Expert customer