Are phones you bring yourself able to be used with another carrier later?

I’ve been using Republic Wireless with a 2nd Gen Moto-X for nearly 3 years and my experience has been kinda up and down, but a friend just gave me a Galaxy S7 Edge. I know that it USED to be that phones had to come from Republic Wireless and those phones could never work with another carrier due to changes Republic Wireless had made to the phone. With the advent, however, of being able to bring your own phone and just put in a Republic Wireless SIM card, I wonder, are any irreversible changes still made to the phone? In short: If I decide to stick with Republic Wireless for now and just order a SIM card for the S7 Edge, if I decided at some point to switch carriers would it be as simple as popping out the SIM card and taking the phone to another carrier?

The phones Republic uses for 3.0 (and BYOD) are all the North American Regional Factory Unlocked versions, so they can be on any network willing to add them to their network.

The North American Regional Factory Unlocked version of the Galaxy S7 Edge is

the “U” Variant is what is needed. No carrier versions of the phones can be used.

BYOD at this time are also on the Republic GSM (T-Mobile) while phones purchased from Republic can be on either the GSM partner or the old CDMA partner (Sprint) base on Republic coverage checker Coverage Check | Republic Wireless

BYOD needs a SIM from either

Republic Bring your own phone to Republic! | Republic Wireless

or

Amazon Amazon.com: Republic Wireless SIM Starter Kit: Cell Phones & Accessories

Moderator’s note: Content edited for readability.

Hi @jaredg.ev4suv,

In short: If I decide to stick with Republic Wireless for now and just order a SIM card for the S7 Edge, if I decided at some point to switch carriers would it be as simple as popping out the SIM card and taking the phone to another carrier?

Putting a phone on our network does not in any way modify the phone such that it cannot be moved to a different carrier.

A similar question, if I purchase a new phone from the 3.0 plans directly from Republic; if I am dissatisfied, can I take that phone to another network? Perhaps that’s redundant, but I want to make sure before I invest. Thanks

Hi @gregc.d4ijnh,

Indeed you can. All phones currently sold by Republic are North American factory unlocked variants. They may be activated with any service provider willing to do so.

3 Likes
Message an
Expert customer