Are there any coverage maps available?

Are there any coverage maps available?

Moderator’s note: Content edited for context.

Hi @bberg.1,

For those who prefer coverage maps, they are linked in this Republic document: Republic Wireless Coverage. If you haven’t done so already, I do suggest giving Republic’s coverage check tool a chance: Coverage Check | Republic Wireless.

Here are the two coverage maps. If you get a phone with a CDMA SIM you can use the Sprint coverage map. If you get a phone with a GSM SIM you can use the T-Mobile coverage map. Note that if you don’t buy your phone from RW and then buy a SIM separately you will get a GSM SIM.

https://coverage.sprint.com/IMPACT.jsp (Sprint)

coverage map (T-Mobile)

Some time back RW did a survey and determined that folks really don’t want to know which SIM they are getting and which carrier map applies to them. I didn’t participate in that survey and don’t know anyone who did.

As a consequence they provide their coverage check tool and leave it up to you to figure out which SIM your phone came with. According to that check my coverage should be CDMA (Sprint) but I have better coverage with GSM (T-Mobile) in areas I frequent. Be very careful when selecting a phone. All of the phones RW sells work on GSM but many of them don’t also work on CDMA. Those that work on CDMA or GSM don’t work on both simultaneously.

Just an FYI, the coverage map you linked for Republic’s GSM partner will be inaccurate for the state of Iowa and portions of surrounding states where coverage is supplied via a reciprocal roaming agreement with iWireless. To the best of my knowledge, coverage supplied by iWireless is not available to any MVNO partnering with Republic’s GSM network partner.

Which is why I always used this one Personal Coverage Check for the GSM partner

That would be a better choice.

rolandh wrote:

Just an FYI, the coverage map you linked for Republic’s GSM partner will be inaccurate for the state of Iowa and portions of surrounding states where coverage is supplied via a reciprocal roaming agreement with iWireless. To the best of my knowledge, coverage supplied by iWireless is not available to any MVNO partnering with Republic’s GSM network partner.

When I was working on the band 12 problem I was assured on at least 2 occasions, by two different RW employees, that RW’s agreement with their GSM partner included coverage everywhere the carrier’s map showed coverage. Being familiar with that problem you can see why I posed this question. It is possible I was misinformed. Unfortunately I don’t believe RW has the liberty to clear this up in a public forum.

I you look at the below you see T-Mobile customers have at least non-LTE data where Republic MVNOs have just talk and text

T-Mobile Customer map T-Mobile MVNO map here is the old Republic GSM Map

I don’t think it’s a question of coverage but a question of what coverage. The map you linked shows native coverage as the result of Republic’s GSM partner’s reciprocal roaming agreement with iWireless. iWireless is majority owned by and an affiliate of Republic’s GSM partner. The minority stake in iWireless is held by Iowa Wireless Services.

The maps of other MVNOs partnering with Republic’s GSM partner, like Republic’s GSM map show roaming coverage. I’m confident Republic gets the same coverage as other MVNOs partnering with Republic’s GSM partner. I do not believe Republic gets more.

I dropped a pin in Des Moines IA and the map I linked to shows partner coverage, not native coverage.

It also shows 4G LTE coverage, while Republic’s map and maps of other MVNOs do not. I’m willing to take Republic’s word for it since it would be in their interest to say otherwise.

rolandh wrote:

It also shows 4G LTE coverage, while Republic’s map and maps of other MVNOs do not. I’m willing to take Republic’s word for it since it would be in their interest to say otherwise.

I think you meant to write not in their interest…

Yes, RW has made it clear there is no roaming (partner) data coverage and partner coverage is clearly stated on the map.

No, I meant to say it would be in their interest to note 4G LTE coverage if Republic were able to offer it in these locations. I stand by my opinion that if one prefers to reference the maps of Republic’s underlying cellular partner’s rather than Republic’s maps themselves; @drm186’s choice of map for Republic’s GSM partner is the better choice.

@billg, referencing the T-mobile map will not give you an accurate representation for Republic GSM customers. I am sorry, but you are flat wrong. T-mobile customers will have 4g LTE coverage in states like Iowa or West Virginia, but Republic only has roaming coverage with no data. I think it is best for most customers to use the Coverage Checker and if a customer tool that @rolandh’s accepted answer in this thread has. Also, if a customer wants to look at a map, it is best they use the Republic provided ones to avoid confusion. While not perfect, I think the coverage checker tool is more accurate tool than even the maps. It takes more variables into account.

What you write is probably true in many but certainly not all places. In other threads I mentioned a zip that is said to have no cell coverage at all (58367) where there is both Sprint (roaming) and T-Mobile (native) coverage. In my zip and in areas I frequent the GSM coverage is on par with or better than the Sprint coverage (I’ve experienced both) yet the coverage checker eliminates the GSM-only phones and I would probably be shipped a phone with a CDMA SIM were I to order a phone from RW. If I did that I would definitely prefer to receive a phone with a GSM SIM but would receive onf with a CDMA SIM.

Band 12 coverage is fairly new and prevalent in both 58367 and around my ZIP so it is possible the coverage checker doesn’t take Band 12 into consideration yet. It was mentioned in another thread that they are constantly improving the coverage checker.

Here is the T-Mobile map of the area with “no coverage.” Notice that 4G LTE capable phones are required. This is because the area is covered by Band 12 and the only voice calls are VoLTE. Aren’t all of RW’s phone 4G LTE and VoLTE capable?

When I was working on the Band 12 problem the tech I initially worked with told me there was no data coverage in Mahnomen MN because the coverage was roaming. He had failed to select an LTE-capable phone when he looked at the map. You might recall the argument I had with him.

You keep taking a small picture perspective for a big picture question.

Yes, this is because most individuals are interested in coverage where they live and in areas they frequent. Most zip codes represent a very small area. In a number of cases I’m familiar with the home zip of little concern because these people have good WiFi at home. They are more interested in the coverage in different zip codes away from home. Cripes, I only tested a few Zip codes in places I’m familiar with (remember my Band 12 comments above) and the coverage checker was flawed in all of them.

I’m glad to learn it is accurate in your small zip.

billg wrote:

Cripes, I only tested a few Zip codes in places I’m familiar with (remember my Band 12 comments above) and the coverage checker was flawed in all of them.

I’m glad to learn it is accurate in your small zip.

That is my exact point. I am not just looking at my small zip. I am not from Iowa, WV or any other area that the two maps have differences. I am trying to take what RW staff has told me, personal experiences and these differences and giving my recommendation.

I sure hope the coverage checker gets fixed for those zips I tested and for any other flawed zips out there. Perhaps we should have a place to report problems with it. Mentioning them in the Community doesn’t seem to help. Yes, I could submit a suggestion but that place seems to be dead.

Message an
Expert customer