Are your calls coming in on Cell or going to voicemail when your phone is sleeping?

People with adequate WiFi but poor cell service can find their incoming calls going to voice mail if there phone has been sleeping for a while. This happens because after sleeping for an hour or more the Doze function puts apps to sleep. When a call comes in RW attempts to awaken the phone but it doesn’t wake up fast enough to reply to RW’s interrogation. RW sends the call to cell but if cell service is unavailable the call goes to voicemail.

There is a work-around for this problem:

1. Go to the Play store and install the free Macrodroid app:
  1. Make this macro:

The macro turns the screen on every 50 minutes preventing the phone from entering the Doze mode. This will drain the battery a little faster depending on one’s display settings. The app can be turned on and off with a simple toggle.

It is quite likely this work-around will also fix a problem where WiFi disconnects in Doze which, in turn, causes the phone to use cellular data (if LTE service is available) while connected to WiFi. That problem can also be fixed by toggling WiFi off and back on again but the Macrodroid work-around makes that unnecessary.

Update: I solved this problem but the solution is unique to my phone (Samsung Galaxy S7) and my ASUS router. I updated the firmware on my routers, enabled WMM-APSD, and in the Device Maintenance section of my S7 I turned App Power Monitor ON and added The Republic Wireless and Anywhere apps to the list of unmonitored apps. It is no longer necessary for me to use Macrodroid. Since taking these steps I’ve continuously maintained a solid RW arc whether charging or not charging and all test calls ring through.

Update: Here is another somewhat obscure reason for disconnects:

Calls not coming through.go to voice with no indication
Moto G5+ has serious connectivity issues
Keeping cell data down
Nothing but trouble - specific issues on my Moto G3
Phone goes from wifi to cell when sitting on desk
Phone goes from wifi to cell when sitting on desk
My Moto 5G Plus
Republic app tells me "Your device is in power saving mode and the network connection is sleeping"
Republic app tells me "Your device is in power saving mode and the network connection is sleeping"
Phone uses poor cell signal over strong home wifi signal
Calls going straight to voicemail
Samsung s7 dropping wifi when asleep
WiFi/Network questions
Moto G5 plus disconnects from wifi after going to "sleep"
Republic Wireless App Update: Version 3.17.1.1
Moto G5 Plus dropping wifi
Managing Doze Mode - when calls come in on cell, go to voicemail or missed and phone is sleeping
Little to no cell service at home
"Voice calls only" error message; something may be blocking access to the Republic Wireless Network
Buying a new phone - Moto g5s plus?
Buying a new phone - Moto g5s plus?
Frustrated - Thinking of going elsewhere
Voice calls only something may be blocking access to the republic wireless network
MotoE first gen Outgoing call no response timed out!
Republic Wireless Arc - Notification Changes
Republic Wireless App Update: Version 3.17.1.1
Need help deciding which phone
Calls go directly to voicemail occasionally
No coverage in my home area ( area code 27557)
Phone won't ring when sleeping
Keeping the screen on FULL Bright when plugged in
Got a new phone, on new plan, and cell data usage is sky high! Help
Phone not receiving in coming calls
Inbound calls come in on Cell instead of wifi

Just so you know what should happen.

1. Your WiFi should not be affected by doze

2. Your arc should, when dozed, empty.

3. Call should come in over WiFi and arc should fil in pretty quickly.

Android has a standard method to alert the phone while in doze that a call is inbound over WiFi and to wake our app to accept it. To re-iterate; the WiFi should not sleep, though some routers have settings that can do this.

We will see. In a recently reported case there was a triangle, not a hollow arc, when the phone was first awakened. When I had this problem with my X2 I isolated it to the WMM-APSD setting in my router but that seems to apply to ASUS routers only. Seeing the triangle when waking the G4+ I tested was common but I’ve only seen it twice on my S7 since I quit using the inductive charger. When using the inductive charger with the S7 WiFi disconnects were occurring several times a day whether or not the phone was sleeping. In the two cases where my S7 woke up with a triangle I had to cycle the WiFi off and on to get my arc back but in the recently reported case (Moto Z or Moto Plus as I recall) it quickly turned into a solid arc without toggling the WiFi.

Meant to post earlier that I did this this morning, and the phone woke up just fine and range (Moto X Pure).

Thanks! Anyone else?

I performed this test on my S7 last night. Phone didn’t ring when I called it this morning BUT that was because it was still in the Do Not Disturb time frame. It did wake up and display the incoming call hence the phone had not lost it’s WiFi connection while sleeping.

The following excerpt from Optimizing for Doze and App Standby | Android Developers may come into play as some of us experience no loss of WiFi at night while *others miss calls/texts *

When the user plugs the device into a power supply, the system releases apps from the standby state, allowing them to freely access the network and to execute any pending jobs and syncs. If the device is idle for long periods of time, the system allows idle apps network access around once a day.

My Moto X Pure, when off the charger will loose WiFi connectivity sometime after ~1 hour of idle/screen off time. Then when I call it from another phone the call will come in on Cell, and then quickly revert to WiFi. I am still trying to capture the exact sequence of the notifications via video so that I can document it via this forum and a Ticket

My Moto X2nd gen loses WiFi connectivity sometimes when I put it to sleep. Sometimes it loses connection while I am using it. Oddly enough, if so go to settings, it still has a signal for the connection I am on. It just randomly dropps it. It’s actually very annoying.

I notice that my Moto Z Play often needs to reconnect to wifi when waking up. I leave it in airplane mode at my house since there is no cell coverage. I just ran an experiment. I started a ping against the phone while idle and sleeping. The ping stops responding after about 1 hour. I called the phone, it rang, and pings started responding again. So, it seems incoming calls do go through even when the wifi is disconnected. I’d like to know how that works.

If I understand you correctly I’ve seen this too. Phone has no connectivity but I can go to Settings, WiFi where it says it is connected. If I toggle WiFi off and on I regain connectivity.

Mine disconnects, but it still “sees” the network. If I tap it, I can reconnect. Given enough time (maybe 20 secconds) it usually reconnects by itself.

One of the “features” of WMM-APSD is that in order to conserve power it buffers packets headed for the sleeping device as to not wake it up. I don’t think this is a very big buffer because when I was troubleshooting this problem I could place 4 consecutive calls to the phone and the 4th call would ring it. I concluded that RW’s interrogation packets continued to be stored until the buffer was full and would then be passed to the phone.

On a related note @jben mentioned that the power saving feature of WMM-APSD had been added to WMM. I don’t know if this means that going forward “WMM” is the same as “WMM-APSD.” I do believe that a lot of people are not distracted by the problem because they have good cell service. When I’ve discussed this with my circle of RW friends none of them bothered to see whether or not their call came in on WiFi. Most didn’t even know where to look.

Thanks for this info. FWIW, I have an older Linksys WRT54G router and I can’t find any configuration options pertaining to WMM. My earlier test resulted in the call going through on the first try. But, I just tried again and it didn’t go through until the 3rd attempt. That’s a bit worrisome since I thought this was working fine. I may have to keep it plugged in since this is also now my work phone (RW replaced a vonage line).

Wait - seanr said that what is SUPPOSED to happen is that the phone should have a clear arc when dozed that fills in quickly when a WiFi call is received.

Doesn’t a clear arc mean that the phone is on cellular and a solid arc mean that it is on WiFi? At least that is what shows on my phones. If that is the case then doesn’t that mean that the example he cited requires that the phone have cellular signal in order for the clear arc to show and to wake the phone from WiFi.

Could it be that the Republic expectations, documentation, and testing are targeted for phones that have a cellular signal as well as Wi-Fi and that the incoming cellular call is what wakes up the WiFi? If so then this means that there may be no mechanism in place to wake the phone from snooze in a WiFi-only environment when there is no cellular signal to receive the call to wake the phone from WiFi.

I note that the older phones had WiFi-only plans but these plans are not available on the newer phones. I also note that my older Sprint-based Republic phones also do not have any issues with WiFi-only calls. This could be related to them being on an older version of Android that predated the snooze feature. But if the Republic target on the new phones is to expect a clear arc then perhaps the 3.0 software just doesn’t support waking the phone from snooze in a WiFi-only environment and that Republic punted in hopes that few people would experience this issue?

Would anybody like to peer-review this theory?

So is there anybody in the WiFi-only situation (no cellular service at their location) whose Moto Z Play is reliably waking up from snooze to take incoming Wi-Fi calls?

I would really love to know!

The test I propose tests your theory because putting the phone in Airplane Mode and then letting it sleep overnight is the same as not having cell service. I did this last night and the call came through to my sleeping S7 this morning. I’m going to run that test again tonight but this time with the phone plugged into the charger to see if that makes a difference.

I hope someone with that model will test this tonight. Does that model have these WiFi settings or are they unique to Samsung phones:

Doesn’t a clear arc mean that the phone is on cellular and a solid arc mean that it is on WiFi?
Our filled in arc does not mean there is no WiFi. There is a WiFi meter in Android for that. The arc means that the phone is connected to our servers. If the phone is dozed, Android has a published method to send a message to Android to wake our app. We should not need cellular data, just some kind of data to allow the servers to reach the phone and for Android to wake our app for the call. If we cannot get to the phone over WiFi or cell data, then we send the call over cell and then to voicemail.

I note that the older phones had WiFi-only plans but these plans are not available on the newer phones. I also note that my older Sprint-based Republic phones also do not have any issues with WiFi-only calls.
WiFi only plan, does not work on the new phones because of how GSM and SIMs work. It would be a very bad experience. People would not like moving to WiFi Only and then having to procure a new SIM every time they want cell. Your old phone does not have Doze Mode and is a very different operating system.

seanr wrote:

WiFi only plan, does not work on the new phones because of how GSM and SIMs work. It would be a very bad experience. People would not like moving to WiFi Only and then having to procure a new SIM every time they want cell. Your old phone does not have Doze Mode and is a very different operating system.

Will a WiFi only plan be available for those 3.0 phones work on CDMA?

To do things the same way across all platforms a Wi-Fi only plan as it worked before is a massive challenge. We have other things in the works.