As a DEFY user whats next?

Well as we all know we no longer have unlimited roaming data ! So we are just like all the other prepaid phones.

I am paying close to $ 24.00 a month with taxes so what do we do next ?

I see the new Galaxy S7 here is $ 699.99 and Walmart is charging $ 599.00 Not sure why the $ 100 gouging

If we stay and take the $ 45.00 plan you only get 4 gig data PLUS taxes with Sprint Towers

The others charge the same $ 45.00 with NO TAXES with 5 gigs data plus wifi calling plus Verizon towers WHICH is a HUGE ++++++++ in coverage !

What ever happen to the savings for using WIFI ? It seems to me its GONE

2 Likes

I don’t know what kind of answer you are looking for. I only see one question, “…what do we do next?”. That’s entirely up to you. Info on the new phones/plans can be found in the Republic Wireless 3.0 FAQs .

Whoops, missed the other question:

What ever happen to the savings for using WIFI ?

Well, the more Wi-Fi you use, the more you save. The idea being that if you make good use of Wi-Fi, you won’t need a plan with 5GB of cellular data.

2 Likes

The more wifi I use on Republic I save ? How is that possible ? They other companies offer unlimited talk. And you are not required to use wifi to save. Its a fixed price

2 Likes

Defy user that had purchased a Backup phone ! Are left holding the BAG …Republic forum is asking members do you have a backup phone ? Because they are not a Brick-n-Mortar store $$$$

Well that would be another benefit you get to save $$$$ for not having to purchase a backup phone…just go to the Brick-n-Mortar store when you need another… Guess what when you need another it can be a newer model ! Not the same old model you been saving for a backup.

2 Likes

Republic Wireless offers unlimited talk and text for $15 on the new plans. If you don’t need cellular data, that’s one of the best deals I know of for unlimited talk and text. Add 1GB of data and you’re talking $20. Still one of the best deals I know of. So if you can use Wi-Fi to keep your cellular data consumption to below 1GB, you’re sitting pretty. After that, things become a little more competitive, but even the 2GB plan is typically at least $5 less than most of the competition.

Like I said earlier, though, it’s completely up to you what to do next. You know what your usage is and what features you desire better than I.

2 Likes

If that’s a concern for you, make your decision accordingly. None of the three mobile companies I use have brick and mortar stores. So far, it hasn’t caused me any concern. If it were a concern I would use a mobile provider with a brick and mortar store.

2 Likes

I am paying close to $ 24.00 a month with taxes so what do we do next ?

I see the new Galaxy S7 here is $ 699.99 and Walmart is charging $ 599.00 Not sure why the $ 100 gouging

What ever happen to the savings for using WIFI ? It seems to me its GONE

rickt,

You are going to have to answer the what’s next ?. Times have changed and unfortunately the plans for the Defy XT may no longer be the bargain they were for some I’ve been with RW almost as long as you. I saw the opportunity to step up to a X1 with a Defy trade in rebate. When the 2.0 plans came along I found them to offer a significant cost savings over the 1.0 plans for my data needs. The 3.0 plans being offered now offer a cost savings for many members compared to the 2.0 plans. Using WiFi for data still offers valid savings.

Why would you even consider upgrading your dinosaur Defy to a $600-700 flagship phone if saving is a concern. There are many good-excellent $100-300 options available if you’d like to test the RW 3.0 waters or jump ship and test theirs.

…

2 Likes

SO a relatively small company can’t match Walmart price? WHat’s new there? Buy it at the better price and use it on RW (or elsewhere) if you want.

I won’t call it gouging, because you aren’t captive to it.

2 Likes

cbwahlstrom wrote:

Well, the more Wi-Fi you use, the more you save. The idea being that if you make good use of Wi-Fi, you won’t need a plan with 5GB of cellular data.

That’s the same as capped/metered plans from any provider have always been, wrt data.

2 Likes

williamo.vkbg0s wrote:

The 3.0 plans being offered now offer a cost savings for many members compared to the 2.0 plans.

“Many” perhaps, but far less than most. WHen 2.0 was introduced, the average RW customer was using around 500MB/month. I don’t think we’ve seen any hard stats from RW since.

The Walmart Galaxy S7 for $599 is locked to Straight Talk. The Republic version of this phone is unlocked for CDMA and GSM carriers. So when comparing the prices, you have to look at the full model number too. Republic is selling the SM-G930U.

As far as your other issue with the price and data quantity, what a company can do with thousand customers isn’t necessarily what you can do with hundreds of thousands of customers. I can see where a hundred thousand customers who don’t follow the vision of WiFI first with cellular data last could put a company out of business at the old price model.

Like you we’ve had a good ride with Republic Wireless and have enjoyed the 2.0 refund plan. As our phones need replacing, we will have to reevaluate whether or not to stay with Republic for both phones, one phone or no phones, since the refund plans are no longer offered with the new phones.

That is an old scam for price protection saying Republic is SM-G930U. The same Washer or Dryer at LOWES or Home Depot has a different Model number still the same machine. In this case this would just have Republic Wifi software.

As for being locked http://www.cbsnews.com/news/obama-signs-bill-unlocking-cellphones/

When the Defy came out it was the Flag ship ! with unlimited everything ! Now your saying to lose all of that ! When you do the math it looks like the Republic model is no longer viable. When the other company is offering the same price with more Date and better coverage. I live in the suburbs of Harrisburg PA area and SPRINT coverage SUCKS compared to Verizon. Again I will ask where is the savings for having off load our cells to wifi ?

2 Likes

rickt wrote:

When the Defy came out it was the Flag ship !

When the Defy came out its big feature was water resistance and relatively rugged. For performance it was crippled. Contemporary devices at or before its release (and I still use one) were available with a GB of RAM (double) and 16 GB of storage (32x as much).

2 Likes

The models listed as RW 3.0 compatible have no software specific to RW. They are ALL available from sources other than RW. At this point, I’m not even sure RW does sell all the approved models.

As far as locked phones go, I believe the current situation is that carriers can keep them locked for the duration of the sales contract of a subsidized phone (typically 2 years) or 1 year for pre-pay plans.

2 Likes

You might consider retitling this thread “I want to [redacted] and moan and respond with non-sequiturs”.

Moderator’s note: Content edited in accordance with our Community Guidelines.

2 Likes

The phones I am talking about have no contract.

US GSM operators will unlock prepaid phones for users who meet certain requirements. There’s no charge for unlocking when its done through your operator.

Unlocking policies have changed. On Feburary 11, 2014, Verizon, AT&T, Sprint, T-Mobile and U.S. Cellular together with the CTIA carrier’s trade association, signed an agreement to unlock phones for customers and to implement consistent and documented policies for unlocking phones. The operators had until February 11, 2015 to fully implement the new policies.

Although Sprint, Verizon and US Cellular signed the agreement, consumers won’t be able to use phones from one of these three carriers on a different one of the three. That’s because these carriers use CDMA radio technology rather than GSM. CDMA phones aren’t locked in the usual sense. They don’t need to be, because the CDMA networks themselves are tightly locked down. When you activate a CDMA phone, you give the operator the phone’s MEID serial number. The activation process will check to see if the MEID is in the operator’s database of phones that were made for and sold by that operator. If the phone’s MEID is not in the database, activation will fail. Nothing in the CTIA unlocking agreement requires CDMA operators to accept phones from other operators. However the agreement does mean that CDMA operators will have to unlock CDMA/GSM dual-mode dual mode phones like the iPhone 4s and later so that they can be used on international and possibly domestic GSM operators

No phone purchased for use on Republic 3.0 elsewhere as BYOP will use CDMA (Sprint) All will use Republic’s GSM network partner. Some but hardly all 3.0 phones purchased from Republic will use CDMA. Many will use Republic’s GSM network partner instead of CDMA.

My Moto X Pure is currently on CDMA. I know others using the Moto G4, Moto G4 PLUS, Nexus 5X and Nexus 6P on CDMA. This is personal experience and the experience of others known to me. It is not a guarantee from Republic that a particular phone will use CDMA or GSM. Republic does encourage anyone who purchases a phone directly and ends up with coverage that doesn’t meet their needs to raise a help ticket within 14 days to see what might be done about that. I would see that as a conversation worth having if needed.

I also know the following phones sold by Republic lack CDMA radios and, therefore, only work on GSM networks.

1. Huawei Ascend 5W
  2. Moto Z
  3. Moto Z Play
  4. Samsung Galaxy J3
  5. Samsung Galaxy S6

The Samsung Galaxy S7 and S7 edge are CDMA (as well as GSM) capable, however, I know no one presently using either on Republic CDMA. The most Republic currently says about whether a phone might ship with CDMA as opposed to GSM coverage is here: Republic Wireless 3.0 CDMA Update. I have no intent to argue the wisdom of how Republic is handling soft launch. It is what it is. I simply point to the information. That discussion is already being had here: Republic Wireless 3.0 CDMA Update.

Regarding the Republic qualified model of Samsung’s Galaxy S7 (SM-G930U); it’s not a Republic exclusive. SM-G930U is the North American factory unlocked variant created by Samsung. It’s widely available and may be activated on the network of any service provider willing to do so. In fact, Best Buy currently has it at a better price than the referenced variant at Walmart: Samsung Galaxy S7 4G LTE with 32GB Memory Cell Phone (Unlocked) Black SM-G930UZKAXAA - Best Buy. The S7 being sold at Best Buy works with Republic, so I don’t see how use of the North American factory unlocked variant provides price protection. If one finds Republic’s qualified model for a better price elsewhere, one is entirely welcome to purchase it elsewhere and bring it. There is no Republic software preinstalled in the ROM or otherwise on the S7. Instead Republic’s 3.0 app is downloaded from Google Play.

2 Likes

With over three thousand stores, perhaps WalMart is able to purchase the phone for substantially less. And nothing is stopping you from buying that very expensive phone from them.

The British have a saying: penny wise and pound foolish.

I don’t think we’ve seen any hard stats from RW since.

I hear you as I’m typically a no/low data user and my 3.0 monthly cost per line is higher. I still see added value in now having the option to go elsewhere for service and the broader selection/price(+&-) for RW compatible phones.

…

1 Like
Message an
Expert customer