Ascend 5W Tips

I’d like to start a thread about tips/tricks for the Ascend 5W phone. Chime in to provide your advice and/or questions. I’m coming from a 2013 Moto X1, so there is a bit of a learning curve for me.

Incomplete list to get the ball rolling…

-Best settings for saving cell data

-System app usage vs 3rd party download (e.g. Huawei calendar vs Google calendar)

-Case and other accessory recommendations

-(possibly?) Sharing other 3rd party sites giving advice for the Honor 5X / GR5 as they seem to be basically the same

-What else?

Mine arrived without a SIM card so I am stalled. My first smart phone, too.

Regarding the case, there is another thread stating the Honor 5x and GR5 cases should fit.

cases for Huawei Ascend 5W

@kristinez.r4r8b1 Sorry your stuck. Mine was separate from the phone box under a piece of cardboard with the glove.

After reading your comment, I checked again and found the little devil stuck under the box bottom end flap. Thanks!

Awesome and congrats on your first smart phone - Enjoy! I hope this thread fills up with advice from the community to help us all out.

Screen protector: I’ve read on a few review sites that the factory-installed screen protector is thoughtful, but junk and gets very greasy. I’m planning on ordering a tempered glass protector and replacing. I prefer the extra protection and feel of glass. Couple options I found:

Cheapest (single): Amazon

Cheapest (2pack): Amazon

Includes cover for camera glass: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01B09PD9C/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_5?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A2MNNU7TOECINRAmazon

Factory installed screen protector … what are you talking about? THere is no screen protector on this Huawei phone and if there is I can’t remove it and there is not one mention of it anywhere that I have seen.

Hi @dougb.05t30y

On my 5W there is definitely a screen protector preinstalled on the device. It is noticeable around the earpiece/front camera.

The EMUI on my Ascend 5W came with version 4.1 Have not activated or updated anything yet.

Came across this article from August that may be useful…

http://www.androidcentral.com/first-6-tweaks-you-need-make-your-huawei-or-honor-phone

I see that there is an indent there that looks like a layer. Can it be removed? Nothing in manual about it.

Chime in to provide your advice and/or questions. I’m coming from a 2013 Moto X1, so there is a bit of a learning curve for me.

-Best settings for saving cell data

• System app usage vs 3rd party download (e.g. Huawei calendar vs Google calendar)

-Case and other accessory recommendations

-(possibly?) Sharing other 3rd party sites giving advice for the Honor 5X / GR5 as they seem to be basically the same

-What else?

@benordby ,

Don’t want to step on too many toes here and have a suggestion for you to start several discussions versus just having this one. I believe it would make the information easier to find. Coming from fairly stock Android phones there is much to learn and share with others.

1. User Interface which could include items such as data/power saving, settings and how to access/use the EMUI OS.

2. Huawei app usage vs 3rd party download suggestions.

3. Case and other accessories.

4. ???

Thanks @williamo.vkbg0s. I think you’re right. I’ve updated the case thread (HUawei Ascend 5W Phone Case) with specific information there.

Saw that earlier, thanks for adding your info on the cases. Have one on order through a friends Primes account similar to the grid. I’ll add my thoughts in a couple of days to the case thread.

I used #3 and #6 in the list to massively speed up the phone. #6 had the biggest impact since it shuts down apps and it can appear sluggish because it takes longer to fully open an app when you need it.

thanks for the info. I looked here when I ordered mine and was able to find the sim card.

Message an
Expert customer