Asking your opinion: is Moto G (3rd Gen.) much better than 1st Gen? For very limited use

I don’t use my phone all that much. I’m much more of an email or chat person. So I have an old 1st Gen Moto G which is really starting to annoy me. I use it from a home office in Canada. But I find lately I have to restart or reset the phone any time I want to use it to make a call. I make calls about 1x per month. So not a huge deal. But I’m thinking of upgrading just so I avoid that rare annoyance.

Also using it when I’m in the US is a pain. It’s terrible for maps. Terrible for anyhting other than texts/calls. My plan is Cheapo Cheap Cheap. If I were to upgrade to Moto G (3rd Gen.) would any of my annoyances be resolved?

Or is it just that the old phones are all equally bothersome and if I want to avoid all of it, I should cough up more money for a better plan?

Any and all thoughts most welcome. Thanks in advance. JK.

I doubt there are many Republic Wireless Moto G 3rd gen phones available that are in great shape. I would skip ahead to something new. The new phones work much better than the older Republic WIreless customized phones.

I suggest you clear the Android System cache on your Moto G1, this may breath some life into your phone:

I still use my Moto G1 on the WiFi only plan and it’s a great little phone.

Really for navigation purposes the newer phones are a better choice and they, depending the model you choose, will have security updates. They do require My Choice plans. There is no option to keep your current plan with the newer phones.

Also something to consider. Moto G1 does not have 4G capabilities. Networks are replacing 3G with 4G. So you may see some areas where there was cell service as a dead zone now. It might be advantageous to get a newer phone.

If using your phone with Republic’s $5 WiFi only plan when in Canada, please know there is no WiFi only option for newer Republic compatible phones. The least expensive option, which provides unlimited talk and text messaging over both WiFi and cell (the latter in the U.S. only) for Republic’s newer compatible phones is $15/month plus taxes and regulatory recovery fees. Details for Republic’s My Choice plan option required for newer compatible phones are linked here: Cell Phone Plans – Republic Wireless.

This isn’t likely to improve. Network owners in the U.S. are in the process of phasing out 3G coverage in favor of forthcoming 5G technology. Your Moto G1 is a 3G only phone.

I would tend to agree but would also point out if one were able to source one, a previously used Republic Moto G3 unlike the Moto G1 would be capable of connecting to 4G LTE networks when in the U.S.

1 Like

I would just point out that this is only a year or two stop gap before the the voice part of the phone gets shut down (end of 2021?) as the Moto G3 still relays on the CDMA network for voice (no VoLTE support) so when T-Mobile shut down the CDMA network these phones will no longer work

1 Like

These are such great responses.

One question:

I would just point out that this is only a year or two stop gap before the the voice part of the phone gets shut down (end of 2021?) as the Moto G3 still relays on the CDMA network for voice (no VoLTE support) so when T-Mobile shut down the CDMA network these phones will no longer work

Does this mean I would not be able to voice call using Wifi when this network stops being used? For instance, say I find a working Gen 3 Moto G3. I’ll be able to use it on wifi in Canada like my current old phone. I will be able to use data for voice / text / etc in the US until CDMA is stopped. Can I use voice when using wifi … when in Canada or the US?

I’m not sure how republic will-handle the WiFi only Legacy plans but there will be no cell base plans for these phones as they are not compatible with for voice on 4G (the G1 and E1 don’t even have 4G option for data)

I would think anything is better than the Moto G1… not that it was a bad phone back in 2014. After doing the research it’s the one I recommended my partner get. I still use it for podcasts. But it’s small, has a really lousy camera, and… 6.5 years out of date. I don’t know much about the Moto G3 but you can compare specs here https://www.gsmarena.com/compare.php3?idPhone1=5831&idPhone2=7247 It’s still 5 years old…

Message an
Expert customer