Assigned a non-local number

I am setting up my brand new Moto E4 phone, and the number I was assigned is not a local number. It’s actually a number for a city 5 hours away. Can I get a local number for this phone?

Hi @Rick1,

Currently, when you activate a Republic phone, you’re automatically assigned a number based on your address. In some cases, Republic gets it wrong. Republic does offer the option of changing your newly issued number. More info on that is here: Change My Phone Number – Republic Help.

In other cases Republic may lack local number inventory in your area. If that’s the case, there’s a rather convoluted workaround here: http://republic-wireless.wikia.com/wiki/How_to_Acquire_a_New_Local_Number_for_Transfer_to_Republic. In addition to the sources mentioned there, NumberBarn might be an option but please read the article first to be certain any number you purchase will transfer to Republic.

1 Like

Thank you. I have submitted a ticket, and in the meantime I was encouraged to post this inquiry for the community. I read about how to change numbers but haven’t seen the second article yet. I hope that helps. I know my landline number could not be transferred to this cell.

You’re most welcome!

Sadly, in this case, it’s unlikely a support ticket will help. If you’re unable to acquire a local number as described in the first help article I linked, typically, that means Republic has no inventory in your area. I documented the convoluted process in the second referenced article. If after having a gander at that, you think it’s something you might want to pursue and have questions, please let us know. We’ll do our best!

2 Likes

@Rick1,

You also have the option to keep checking the numbers RW has available during the change procedure. RW occasionally runs out of some local numbers until they get a new supply added to their inventory.

I activated a new line early last year and was given a number in a new area code within my state at least three hours away. Rechecked once a week or so and within a month or two numbers were again available with my area code and local exchanges that would work for my needs. If you live in the boondocks your experience may differ.

:flight_departure:

1 Like

Thank you all. It seems to be a boondocks issue.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Message an
Expert customer