Authentication problem on one phone, but not another

I have two identical phones. Both have been working fine on my wifi at home. Recently one stopped and when i try top login it says I have an authentication problem. both are MOTO E What do i do?

0 Likes

The phone does not generate that error on its own. It is responding to your router giving an authentication error. Make sure you do not have any MAC filter or attached device limitation. Also, have you just turned the router off and back on again?

0 Likes

I dont understand why one phone gives the message and teh other does not. And yes, i have shut down and restarted teh modem (and phone) several times

0 Likes

have you tried to forget the network and re-add it?

0 Likes

If that doesn’t work, try

Open Settings > Backup & reset > Touch Network settings reset > Tap Reset Settings. (Please note that this will reset Wi-Fi, Cellular data and Bluetooth settings which means you will have to input your Wi-Fi credentials again.)

0 Likes

yes, did not help

0 Likes

well, I go to settings> back up and reset, > but I see no “network settings reset” option

0 Likes

Hi @tomf.zb7v3x ,

Is there any chance someone has changed the network password to something other than what you are using on this phone?

If your router has a WPS button (it often uses an icon with two arrows chasing one another that makes me think of recycling) you can find that option in the Moto E’s Settings > Wifi > (three dots at top right) > Advanced options

0 Likes

closed #9
0 Likes

Message an
Expert customer