Auto Forward All Text messages to Email

What’s the simplest way to automatically forward all text messages to my email account? I want to always forward every message to the same email account and leave the original on my phone.

Moderator’s note: Title edited to match content.

There isn’t a built in way to do that. You might want to take a look at an app like this one: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.riteshsahu.SMSBackupRestore

I’ll look at it later.

But the one app that I did try insisted I have to let it read my (phone) contacts and “link” my receiving email and tell the app my email PASSWORD. BALONEY!! I don’t want backup and restore - I don’t want a two way link - I don’t want it to read in my contacts and know my passwords when I want things forwarded regardless of whom the text is from. Is there an simple app like that?

I don’t think you’re going to find that. To be able to send an email, the
app must know your email address and have the password. Without those,
there’s no way for the app to send an email. Think of it the same way you
provide your user I’d and PW to your email app.

this should be able to be done with a automation app like

or

Hi @thejerrycole
I personally use this app that @louisdi linked to you, & have no problems with them for a couple years now. The app also sends my contacts list to me in Excel format where one can edit it to correct contacts easier than on the phone. Restoring is a breeze. I wouldn’t hesitate to recommend this app to all my friends and RW users too. Carbonite is a very good Backup Security Company with high ratings, actually one of the best I have used for free. I plan on updating to the paid plan next time i need to use it.

Maybe you are technically correct, louisdi. But this is not logically correct. I can send email to someone without knowing their password, so a machine should be able to forward a text message to an email address without knowing the password.

In fact, in the past I maintained Java programs that sent notifications to email addresses (some of them actually mapped to text to a phone). None of these programs required the recipient password.

These look complicated. Will either one just forward text messages to my email? - without knowing my email password. If you asked me for my email address, I wouldn’t give you my password and I’m not gonna give it to software sending me email either.

by default when an app emails out something it will uses the email listed on the phone even when that the address you want to send the email to (as if you where sending out the email manually)
If you have that email behind a password wall the app will need to have a way around it

So when I reply to a SPECIFIC comment on the topic, it doesn’t attach it to the comment I replied to, but puts all replies at the same level and not identify which comments is being replied to (or that it is even a reply)?? Then why provide a Reply button on each individual comment?

huh, drm186? SMSForwarder asked me for an email address to forward all texts to and I provided one (no default email address was used), but then it insisted it had to have the password just to forward to that address.

You’ve missed the point. To send the email, you must have access to an
outbound mail server. That takes your password. Sure, an app maker could
pay for an outbound mail infrastructure and then charge for the app, but it
is far easier to use the infrastructure you already have access to, and
that takes your password.

Okay, I guess I understand now, thanks. In the past, I actually wrote a few “standalone” test Java programs that sent email. But even those simple programs I suppose included Java LIbs that, when run as part of an .exe, created a simple mail server to send those test emails.

And these Android Apps suggested apparently do NOT create such a simple mail server, nor is there one available with the normal Android OS.

As someone suggested, I could maybe set up a new email account that I use just for this purpose. Then I could provide the Andriod app its password, tell the app to forward to my normal email, and NOT provide the password of my normal email. Do you think this will work?

I must say the one I tried, SMSForwarder, did not make clear that it was asking for my email for the purpose of using it as the mail server. (And if its sole purpose is to Forward things, you’d think it would set up its own mail server.)

Thanks again, Jerry

Yes, creating an account just for this purpose should work just fine.

I ended up getting an app. called “SMS to Email”. It has a very simple interface and allows you to forward email on an ad hoc basis without having your own email server (but does require a mail server for automated forward). I wouldn’t recommend it though since:
I suspect the other apps you mention will forward things ad hoc with an internal server, just not automated
It cost 99c
I sent a question to their support that wasn’t answered

I decided I didn’t really need the automated one, as I get so few texts, doing adhoc works fine. It makes sense to me that a simple server can handle ad hoc the way my simple Java program did, but my Java program of course, did not include any polling/listener etc. to do the automated part.

If anyone can provide a technical description, I’d be curious: If you use your own email server to do the automated forward, how does it communicate with the phone? I presume the app uses your password to call some API on the mail server telling it what to do and passes it some entry point back into your phone which the mail server uses after that for checking?..

Actually the likely way it works is this:

1. App on phone monitors message store. When a message is added, it pulls it from the message store, then sends it to your mail server, using the credentials you provided and SMTP. Essentially, the exact same way a mail app would.

Thanks @louisdi . This further demonstrates my ignorance, however.

On ad hoc forwarding, the phone apps forwards to my email WITHOUT HAVING TO KNOW MY PASSWORD - just as if I forwarded an email manually.

So, in the automatic case, if, as you surmise, the phone app handles the detection of when something needs to be forwarded and then forwards it, why does it need an intermediate mail server, and why does it need its password?

This distinction is what led me to conclude that the mail server I provide must do the actual polling/event handling etc. and the phone app needs the password to instruct it to do that.

You can see (since ad hoc works without a password) why I had trouble believing in the first place that a mail server/password was needed. (And still do, I guess:relaxed:slight_smile:)

Jerry

In the manual version, is the app opening an email in the email app on the phone that you then send?

I guess the answer is No. I give it an email address (no password) and tell it whether I want all “threads” in one email (only choice I’ve tested) or want them separate. When I click Finish, within a short time, an email arrives in my inbox with all messages in separate text blocks including the phone number and the name of the Contact it corresponds to. It sends all undeleted messages - it doesn’t keep track of whether it sent a message previously. It does not show me this email on my phone to preview - if that’s what your question means.

Ok, so one of two things happening. The app is essentially acting as its own SMTP server and sending through mail directly. This is possible, but often blocked by residential ISPs as it is the same way that a spammer would use a Trojan to use your connection for spam and they don’t expect you to be running your own mail server.

Or, the app developer is running a mail sever, through which your texts are being relayed. This would work but then raise the issue of, are you comfortable with this random app developer seeing alll your texts?