Battery maintenance questions and answers

(Moderator’s note: this thread was originally a part of: Why I left Republic and has been split off because it is not related to the original post. While it is an excellent conversation to have, the author of that original post may not wish to see this conversation in his E-mail.)

Can you explain why to only hold the power button for 2-3 seconds and removing phone from charger? –I’m currently testing couple of TurboChargers for review so I’m trying to drain my battery to 1% to do this, so I want to make sure I’m not doing something harmful. Thanks!

Why I left Republic

Hi @apples2androids
A LI battery will not drain to 1%. There is a protection circuit that allows a battery to drain as low as 5%-10% so a battery don’t become unstable and go Samsung Galaxy Note 7 on you.

Thanks @bocephous! I’m using a Moto Z Play and am just relying on the battery percentage that it shows in the battery portion of the Settings app. Is the info that I see here incorrect? What do you mean by “go[ing] Samsung7 on you”? –You mean Galaxy Note 7 in flames? :fire: :fireworks: :fire: :fireworks:

This is what I have learned from others to prevent the app optimization process.

The convenience of fast charging with a turbo charger is luring. But, the number one enemy of Li batteries is heat, and turbo charging generates a lot of heat in the battery. You may enjoy the convenience today, but you will likely pay for that convenience sooner than you might expect. I don’t even use the turbo charger that came with my Z Play. Think about it, a 3amp charge vs a 15amp charge? 3A is plenty fast for me.

Battery health best-practices is an excellent conversation for our Community. @coreyk, do you think once there are a good number of quality tips in this thread you could write a Tips & Tricks post and then wikify it for the Community?

I think I could give it a go.

Device Help app has a fairly good battery monitor. FIX, Hardware Tests, Battery.

Here is my tips and tricks on Battery life best practices. Battery Life Best Practices

Thanks @coreyk!!