BETA: Member support only - How To Install Republic Anywhere On Linux

Before We Begin...

Anywhere will only run on the AMD64 platform.

Republic Requires a Ubuntu version 16.04 or greater. This means…

Requirements:

Debian: Requires Debian _Stretch_ or newer.

Linux Mint: Requires Linux Mint 18 “Sarah” or newer.

Elementary OS: Loki or newer.

Introduction

When I first read the instructions on how to install the new Linux client it was a bit intimidating. I had always installed software through my distributions software center or through .deb packages. So this was a learning experience for me and I thought I would share some highlights that might help others who have never used the Terminal extensively.

Step 1: Open up the terminal.

The terminal is where every Linux user goes to easily perform a wide range of tasks from running programs to installing software. Most (If not all) Debian/Ubuntu based distributions come with a GUI terminal installed.

Step 2: Fetch the Republic Anywhere .deb package.

There are two commands for this as there are two versions of the Republic Anywhere Linux client. Stable and Main

Stable: For Beta Group No Longer Available

Main: Production Ready
sudo sh -c 'echo "deb [arch=amd64] 
https://s3.amazonaws.com/files.republicwireless.com/public/apps/anywhere/debian main main" 
> /etc/apt/sources.list.d/republicanywhere.list'

Don’t worry if there is no message after you input command, there was not one for me.

Step 3: Add the Republic Wireless Key to Your Key List
wget -O - 
https://s3.amazonaws.com/files.republicwireless.com/public/apps/anywhere/debian/key/public | 
sudo apt-key add -

After this action completes your Terminal will look something like this:

Step 4: Refresh Your Package List

The package manager has not been updated since adding the new Republic Anywhere package so it will not show up if you attempt to install it now. To refresh your packages run:

sudo apt update

I had to run this twice for an unknown reason so if it does not work the first time try again.

Once completed the Terminal will look something like this:

Step 5: Install Republic Anywhere

Finally what everyone has been waiting for, simply type this command to install Republic Anywhere:

sudo apt install republicanywhere

Once completed your terminal will look about like this:

You should find Republic Anywhere in your app launcher, if not programs like MenuLibre can help you add it.

Tada!

Republic Anywhere running on my desktop running Deepin.

NOTICE:
For any version of Ubuntu and its derivatives based on 17.10 or newer you will need to perform an additional step in order to have Republic Anywhere run.

sudo apt -y install libgconf2-4

P.S.
If anything I wrote here is incorrect please let me know!
As for why I used apt instead of apt-get, apt-get should not be used for general use anymore.
The program used to display information about my system is called Neofetch.

Last Updated: 9/23/2018
New Changes: Removed the beta channel from the guide.

Anywhere BETA on Linux
Greetings and Introductions!
* Kudo & Win! *
Republic Anywhere on Linux: Disconnecting and Reconnecting

Unfortunately, due to legacy reasons…

stable = channel the beta group should use
main = production channel the rest of rw members should use

Thanks for the info, I adjusted my post to match that information.

Thank you for sharing these screenshots!

I updated the thread to improve formatting and help keep everything tidy. If something looks out of place let me know.

Thanks @Burusutazu! I should have given you a warning and opportunity to update the thread before I moved it into the Tips & Tricks area! :woman_facepalming:

Thanks for the instructions, @Burusutazu. Your instructions worked great and the app is very nice. My contacts and messages synced. I sent and received 1 text message, so looks like it works. I’m running Ubuntu 16.

Note for others following the instructions–this forum system automatically adds little numbers after URLs to indicate how many times the link has been clicked. Unfortunately, this is part of your copy when you try to copy & paste the command. So after you paste in your console, be sure to remove the number at the end of the URL.

i’ve made multiple attempts to install on linux mint 17.1 using different instructions found around here, but i keep receiving the same error:

$ sudo apt update && sudo apt install republicanywhere

Reading package lists… Done
Reading package lists… Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information… Done
E: Unable to locate package republicanywhere

Is this after doing the first two steps? If you used this guide be sure that you removed the numbers in the links because the forums add them and I have no way to disable them.

I brushed up on my Linux Mint knowledge and wanted to let you know that Republic Anywhere does not work on Ubuntu derivatives using a package base below 16.04 and Linux Mint 17.1 uses a 14.04.3 base. So even if you got it to start installing it would fail.

This made me realize this guide is lacking something very important. Minimum Requirements. Thank you for helping me see that, I added the minimum requirements above and have comparisons to Debian, Linux Mint, and Elementary OS.

thank you!

Hey @Burusutazu. How can I grab the .deb package directly. I’m using gentoo linux and would like to try Anywhere out there. Thanks.

This command (step 2) fetches the .Deb package

sudo sh -c ‘echo “deb [arch=amd64] https://s3.amazonaws.com/files.republicwireless.com/public/apps/anywhere/debian main main” > /etc/apt/sources.list.d/republicanywhere.list’

Keep in mind that as far as I know nobody has successfully repackaged Anywhere for a different Flavor.

Thanks for the reply @Burusutazu. I am not on a Debian system, but I can install .deb packages. When I put the s3 url into my browser I get a 403 (access denied) error. I’d like to download the package directly. --Dean

Don’t grab it with your browser, use wget in the terminal like shown in step 2. Just go and get the file out of your temporary storage.

You can also specify where you want it if I remember right.

back for my periodic check-in on anywhere for linux.
i upgraded mint from 17 to 18, only to find out that it only supports amd64.
when can we expect support for i386?

I don’t think 32bit support is on the horizon. It’s been discussed before but you never know.

At this point I actually suggest trying to install the Windows version of Anywhere using Wine if it is a must have.

Is Fedora distro support on the horizon?

As far as I’m aware no. However @southpaw may have heard something I haven’t.

Depending on your level of knowledge you can attempt to package the .Deb to .rpm.

Hi @janus_god,

I just checked in with our developers. Yes… it’s on the horizon, but with no set timeline. Many of our developers are also Linux users, so they are not going to forget our Linux enthusiasts!