BETA: Member support only - How To Install Republic Anywhere On Linux

Installed on my recent 18.04.1 install and had the same issue. I had to go home for the weekend so I’m not at my desktop so I can’t check a few things.

Does running it from the terminal (republicanywhere) provide any errors?
Did this persist between boots? Sometimes a reboot can fix an issue like that.

I’m not 100% who to tag for this but I’ll tag @southpaw in case this is something important.

edit: I’ll tag @bsmith as well since southpaw is on vacation.

Okay so the libgconf-2.s0.4 is the library causing issues.

Hi @Burusutazu or anyone else, did this ever get resolved? I’m having the same problem with the same error.

When it is fixed it will be announced here.

Some new changes to the main post today.

• Added hyperlinks to software I mention.
  • Finally added code blocks to the commands so the numbers will no longer be added to the command by discourse.
  • Fixed a broken image. [#5]
  • Updated the apt vs apt-get section.

@jasone.bxqzkv
@Rood15

Okay, so here if the fix for the missing dependency on versions of Ubuntu Linux newer than 17.10.

Install this missing dependency from the terminal.

sudo apt -y install libgconf2-4 

Anywhere should run without any problems after you install that.

Here is a screenshot of it running on Ubuntu 18.04.1.

To switch from beta to stable:

Uninstall republic anywhere using:
sudo apt remove republicanywhere

Then reinstall using the same steps from the guide using the main branch.

Sorry to bring this up again, but I was just curious if packaging the Anywhere app for RPM was still on the roadmap? If not, I might start a Fedora COPR repo (unofficial of course) for it in the mean time, assuming RW doesn’t mind.

Hi @emiljt,

I’ve not heard anything new from our developers on Linux since the last time we checked in with them on that question. Linux development is something of a side-bar project for that team, and sometimes other priorities have to take precedence.

I see no reason for you not to take on such a project, if it’s something that interests you. We’ll just need to be clear, as we’ve tried to be all along on the Linux use, that it’s not “supported” - meaning our help team cannot assist with issues on Linux. It’ll pretty much be a matter of our Linux users helping one another.