Bought a Pixel 3a. Can I use my sim card from my Nexus 6P or do I need to buy a new sim kit?

Bought a Google Pixel 3a (Unlocked version) from the Play store. Can I use my sim card from my Nexus 6P or do I need to buy a new sim kit? Also, What are the steps for switching phones on my republic wireless account? When I insert the sim into my Pixel 3a, is that all I need to do to start using it and still have my existing number?

Hi @scottv.pxr8vh and welcome to the Community!

This is an it depends scenario. If the SIM in your 6P is GSM, it may be moved to the Pixel 3a. If it’s CDMA, it cannot be moved and we’ll need to provide more insight. Here’s how to tell which Republic SIM type is in your Nexus 6P: How to Tell If a Phone Is Active on GSM or CDMA – Republic Help.

If it’s CDMA, please let us know.

If it’s GSM, please take the following steps on your Pixel 3a:

1. Insert the SIM from your Nexus 6P.
  2. Power up the Pixel 3a.
  3. If not already done, complete initial phone setup (connecting to WiFi, choosing a language, adding Google account(s), etc.) on the Pixel 3a.
  4. Download the Republic app from Google’s Play Store.
  5. Open the Republic app.
  6. You’ll be presented with an abbreviated activation sequence, which when complete moves Republic service and your number from the Nexus 6P to the Pixel 3a.
2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Message an
Expert customer