Bought Home Adapter On Wrong Account - Can It Be Transferred?

Trying to set up the Home Phone Adapter for mom who is suffering dementia and finding it nearly impossible now to navigate and use a touch screen smartphone anymore. The problem is I accidentally purchased it on my account instead of hers. Is it possible to somehow transfer it to her account? TIA

Hi @mdk1000,

To the best of my knowledge, it does not matter what account was used to purchase Republic’s Extend Home adapter. Please see if this helps:

In step 1, log into the account housing your mom’s phone if that’s different from yours.

1 Like

Hi @mdk1000,

In addition to the great instructions @rolandh pointed you to, I’ll point out that your Mom will need an active phone number on RWs My Choice (4.0) Plan.

Didn’t want you to start down that path and find out her plan does not meet the Extend Home requirement.

We have an Extend Home and love it!

1 Like

Ah! I think that might be it. I think her phone is on the old $10 plan. I’ll have to double check that. There is no “Extend Phone” choice under the “I want to…”

Hi @mdk1000,

That being the case, your mom wouldn’t be able to use the adapter without upgrading her phone.

1 Like

Can’t I just upgrade the plan or do I have to upgrade the actual phone? It’s a Moto G3 phone.

1 Like

Hi @mdk1000,

I’m afraid not. Republic’s legacy phones (Moto E1, E2, G1, G3, X1 or X2) are incompatible with Republic’s newer My Choice plans.

Likewise, newer Republic compatible phones are incompatible with Republic’s older grandfathered plans.

Just my luck. Budgets are stretch thin now and we cannot afford a newer phone. I’ll have to return this adapter. Can you tell me how I go about doing that? Do I need to request an RMA or some other pre-approval or something else?

Hi @mdk1000,

I’m sorry to hear that but understand. Here’s the return process:

Well I guess I’m stuck with it because it’s been opened. I just threw $65 out the window. Thanks for your time.

Hi @mdk1000,

I’d go ahead an open a ticket with Republic and explain the specific circumstances. No one here can promise a result, however, my experience with Republic is they’ll do their best to work with you.

1 Like

I will try that. Thanks again for your time.

3 Likes

U could buy a Obi device and set that up with a free Google Voice account to use as a home phone adapter.

I have had one setup for several years as a “home wired” phone.

It won’t share the same number as the RW phone, but one could set Voicemail forwarding on the RW phone, so that if they don’t answer it, it will then ring the Google Voice number.

Hi @mdk1000,

Is the only problem for your budget the cost of the phone itself? The My Choice plan for talk and text would be $15 a month (plus taxes and telecom fees) instead of the $10 a month you mentioned your mother is currently paying.

If the plan price is not a problem for you, I have a phone I can send you.

5 Likes

Hi Southpaw. Yes that is exactly my situation! We would have no problem with the monthly plan “upgrade”. After purchasing the Home Adapter we just can’t afford another large outlay on another phone. All I need to do is get this Home Adapter working for her. Your offer of a phone is extremely welcome and appreciated more than you can possibly believe. I will be forever grateful. How do we proceed?

4 Likes

Hi @mdk1000,

I’ll contact you here in Community by personal message once I get the phone ready to send. Please be patient, I’m out of the office due to illness, so it may be late this week before I can get it done.

I understand. I hope you get to feeling better soon!

Thank you!

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Message an
Expert customer