Bring phone from Google Fi?

Hi,

I’m thinking about buying the Moto G Power at Google FI which is currently on sale at a very good price. If I do this, is this phone, if purchased from Google Fi, able to be transferred back to Republic Wireless? I imagine I’ll need to buy a new Republic Wireless SIM as I am currently on a Moto X Gen 2 - or could I use my old sim in the event that I wish to bring this phone over?

Thanks for any knowledge.

Hi @tepper,

The Moto G Power and the Moto G Stylus Fi is selling aren’t on sale per se. There are terms attached among them a requirement the phone be activated with Fi.

That said, yes either would be Republic compatible and ultimately could be activated with Republic. Your Moto X2’s SIM is phone specific and cannot be used in any other phone, so you would need a new Republic SIM. For more insight on that and if you’re comfortable sharing, might we trouble you for a zip code?

Upgrading your Moto X2 to a newer Republic compatible phone would also mean giving up the grandfathered plan attached to your Moto X2. Newer Republic compatible phones use Republic’s My Choice plans.

1 Like

Hi,

Thanks for your reply. I wasn’t sure that a phone purchased from Google Fi could be brought over.

My zip code is 10065. Thanks for any further info.

I will surely miss my current 3G plan on the Moto X2. This is the least desirable result of the switch to a new phone.

Thanks again.

Hi,

I just wanted to check in with you, as you mentioned that I should state my zip code for advice regarding a new republic sim card. Besides the Moto G Power/Stylus, I’m also thinking about the Pixel 4a. Thanks for any further help.

Hi @tepper,

My apologies for managing to miss your earlier reply.

There is certainly no coverage issue to be concerned with in and around Manhattan. :slightly_smiling_face: If you haven’t yet purchased a new SIM from Republic, may I send you some information via private message before you do so?

Well, 3G itself will ultimately go away in favor of 4G and emerging 5G technology. For others who may be reading, there is no cause for immediate concern. 3G will be around for, at least, a few more years.

Any of the mentioned phones would be Republic compatible.

Hi,

Thanks for your reply. I appreciate the additional information!

Message an
Expert customer