Bummer....My Google Pixel 3a should be compatible...but isn't

What phone do you have?
Google Pixel 3a

What plan are you on?
Republic Wireless, the 1GB a month plan

Does your plan include data, or just talk & text?
talk text, and 1G/month of data

Issue Description

I just purchased a refurbished Google Pixel 3a from backmarket.com (this one: https://www.backmarket.com/tested-and-certified-used-google-google-pixel-3a-64-gb-purple-ish-unlocked/61700.html#scroll=false )
which according to the site is a G020G and a GA00657-US so it should be compatible.

However, when I received the phone and downloaded the the republic app it gave me the old “Bummer, this phone isn’t fit for republic”

This thread seemed to deal with the exact same issue:
https://forums.republicwireless.com/t/pixel-3a-bummer-this-phone-isnt-a-fit-for-republic

So, I’m puzzled. Is there a way to check the phone itself to see if it matches the specs claimed by backmarket?

It has Android 11 on it, and everything else seems to work fine.

Thank you for your help!

Hi @aaron_sneezy and welcome to the Community!

Candidly, the Republic app is generally the final arbiter of compatibility. That said…

1. Open Settings
  2. Scroll to then tap About phone
  3. Tap Regulatory labels
  4. What is said for model?
  5. Tap the back arrow
  6. Scroll to the bottom
  7. What is said for Build number?
2 Likes

Hi, thank you!

When I click “Regulatory Labels” nothing pops up except for a pop-up box that says “Regulatory Labels”…however a few spaces below the Regulatory Labels button it does say “Model: Pixel 3a”

And well below that it says the build number is RQ1A.201205.003

I’ll probably be returning this phone anyway since the speaker is broken, however, I’m wondering how to make sure they send a replacement that’s actually compatible with Republic wireless. Any ideas?

On the bummer screen there’s a circled “i” at the top. Can you tap that and share what’s there?

1 Like

Ah! That did it, thank you.

According to that info screen, this phone is actually a G020E, not a G020G. So, it was mis-represented on the seller’s product page.

Thank you, that helps. If I can get them to send me a phone that’s actually a G020G I imagine it would work.

Correct. :slight_smile:

I appreciate your help. I was starting to question Republic’s specs, but now I know where to turn my ire :wink:

3 Likes
Message an
Expert customer