"burner" phone option

hello -

is it possible to have a second RW phone number associated with a phone, or would i need to get a separate phone?

Hi @edwardsmarkf,

No, Republic doesn’t provide secondary numbers (burners or otherwise) for its phones. There are a number of apps that do that available in Google’s Play Store. Burner and Hushed are popular choices.

2 Likes

jben - i like to give the unknown person one temporary phone number, and the trusted person my primary number. my primary number is also used for two-step verification, so I would like to keep that one.

Not very woke bruh

I don’t see the offense, but I was asked to remove the quote that I didn’t say.

2 Likes

Hi @edwardsmarkf,

You would need to get a second phone to have a secondary RW number. You might want to pickup an inexpensive used phone from the Swappa site if unable to find a new one to fit your needs.

:flight_departure:

Hushed seems to work great!

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

2 Likes

Very meta

1 Like

If you have a google account you can use google voice to acquire a phone number for GV. Once you’re logged into GV you and the number is set up you can then forward your calls from the GV number to your republic wireless number. Give out your GV number to those you don’t know. If you ever need to get rid of it you can disable call forwarding to your RW number or you can get yourself a new GV number. You also can create addition google accounts as needed for burner purposes. Hopefully, nothing illegal is being done. I use burner numbers for websites I am suspicious about.

Hi @beefeduppork,

I don’t believe you’re suggesting anything illegal. That said, in my experience, it’s not nearly as easy to acquire multiple Google Voice numbers as it was in the past. Google is much more restrictive about that these days. Among other things, the number one uses to claim a GV number may only be used so many times (Google doesn’t say how many) before Google will refuse to accept it for that purpose.

Google requires one provide a number (mobile or landline) when claiming a GV number not just for forwarding. Google does not accept other nomadic VoIP numbers for claiming a GV number. Google does accept cable or telco landline replacement VoIP numbers and Republic numbers subject to how many times they might have been used for the purpose of claiming a GV number.

1 Like

excellent suggestion, although using the obitalk device, i am using google-voice as a replacement for a land-line. i have found it to be a fantastic phone service, surprisingly. i believe that ‘hushed’ is the best option available for this situation. it’s very economical, and will even let you purchase a phone number for something like $2 for a week.

1 Like

Same here :grin: have been for several years.
Hanv’t had or paid for a land line in soo long.
Pretty much never use it though…it gets some spam calls every now and then…

edwardsmarkf:
using the obitalk device, i am using google-voice as a replacement for a land-line.

Same here :grin: have been for several years.

Hanv’t had or paid for a land line in soo long.

Pretty much never use it though…it gets some spam calls every now and then…

Visit Topic or reply to this email to post a public response in our Community.

To unsubscribe from these emails, click here.

google-voice also has that really cool voice-2-text where your phone messages can be read in email instead of played. YES its far from perfect, but as hard as i try, i just cannot seem to beat that price.

Message an
Expert customer