Buy phone without plan

Is it possible to buy a phone from RW without buying a plan?

My 6 year old son has been playing on our old Nexus 7 tablet. It has been really slow lately and I have not found a fix. I want to get him something for Xmas, but I can’t find a good tablet to replace it. So I am thinking of getting him a new Moto E4. But he won’t need a plan.

Anyone know if this is possible?

TIA

Yes you can
there no requirement to activate a 3.0 phone
the plan selection on check out is just a place holder

3 Likes

Awesome! Thanks for the quick response.

Wouldn’t something like an Amazon Fire Kids addition be more beneficial?
For some of the following reasons

• Up to $129 in savings on Fire 7 tablet, 1 year of Amazon FreeTime Unlimited, and a Kid-Proof Case, plus a 2-year worry-free guarantee
    Not a toy, a full-featured Fire 7 tablet with a 7" IPS display, 16 GB internal storage, and up to 8 hours of mixed-use battery life.
    • Add a microSD card for up to 256 GB of expandable storage.
  • 2-year worry-free guarantee: if they break it, return it and we’ll replace it for free. No questions asked.
  • One year of FreeTime Unlimited gives your kids access to 15,000 popular apps and games, videos, books, and educational content from PBS Kids, Nickelodeon, Disney, and more
    *Add even more content to your child’s profile in FreeTime to give them selected access to apps in your personal library, such as Netflix, YouTube, and Minecraft
  • Best-in-class parental controls allow you to manage usage limits, content access, and educational goals
  • Amazon Parent Dashboard with Discussion Cards enables parents to discover the titles their kids enjoy and connect with them through rich conversations about these titles
3 Likes

I considered this, but I’m not sure the Google play store will work very well on the Amazon tablet. It seems like there have been lots of complaints of apps from Google not working correctly on the Amazon tablet. We have already paid for several apps and would not want to buy again on Amazon.

Have you had any experience with Google apps/games on Amazon tablet?

I have no experience with Google apps/games and Amazon tablet. I think any time we try to cross one big company with another that they are not going to make it convenient as it’s not in their vested interest. I have a lot of experience with Amazon. It takes a little bit of time, but every time something is not right I get it free or substantially discounted. They are so concerned with expanding that they will often just refund and say keep it versus any bad repercussions.
Are you concerned with your child breaking a phone? The Amazon tablet being replaced if broken for two years seems huge. It’s cool someone suggested you go elsewhere to save money for a product which might better suit your needs. I love that about RW.
Maybe call Amazon to order it. I would specifically ask about the Google apps/games. If they say they will work, you can order it on the same phone call and have recourse if it does not. This is just a suggestion.
I have a nephew a year younger or so. He breaks me in two, in a couple hours, leave alone a cell phone. A few days with him and I can barely move. You have my admiration!
Good luck with choosing…I hope it works well either way.

2 Likes

I have no experience with kids or Amazon (on this product) … but the “if they break it, return it and we’ll replace it for free” part caught my eye. My guess is not if they break it … but when they break it :smiley:

1 Like

That’s funny. I don’t have kids so maybe I don’t realize it, but of course they will break it. I broke everything in sight, usually on purpose! If only my parents had known…
That really made me laugh. Thanks, jben

1 Like

I have Kindle Fire tablet. Google apps have to be side loaded or you have to get the Amazon version of the app if there is one. Sometimes Google apps work fine on Kindle and sometimes they don’t. This is because Kindle OS isn’t pure Android. I don’t know how it works with paid apps. The last time I tried to get Google Play Store on my Kindle it didn’t work.

The few apps that I’ve side loaded from Google, I first put on my phone, made a copy of the apk using Astro File Manager and then transferred the apk to Kindle for side loading.:

Above is the link for the Beta version, apparently the Non-Beta got a bad update. I see a lot of complaints in Google Play Store.

Under Settings you’ll see App Manager, this is where you can make apk copies or as it’s called backups. Once the apk is backed up you will then need to transfer it to the tablet for installation, best place is putting it in Download file. Once the apk is transferred to Amazon tablet, you need to go into Settings and turn on Allow Outside Sources. Use file manager app to get to location of apk and give it a tap. If a package installer doesn’t appear, then you will need to install a packager installer. In the Amazon store there are a few free package installers. Once the apk is installed you need to restart the Amazon device.

Remember there is no guarantee that the app will work. As I mentioned sometimes they do and sometimes they don’t. Had one app that worked but it was very buggy and wasn’t worth the trouble.

3 Likes

The fire table would a good idea, however the hassle of having to side load the Google Play Store is usually a deal breaker. They do have some decent kids apps on Amazon and if you are Prime member there is also the Amazon Underground store with gives you actually free apps. Basically no need to worry about in app purchases because they are all included with those apps. From what I have seen and heard the Fire Tablet is more for kids that want to watch shows then play games.

Yes you select the plan again when you turn on the phone for the first time.

1 Like

only if your activating the phone if one uses the phone as a mini tablet (like the opening poster) then you bypass activation and never pick a true plan

Yes you can buy the phone and never use the republic app at all. If you want it as a mini tablet without a connection, power on the phone and do not login/download the Republic app. I am actually doing this with my old Moto X 2014. It has become a permanent GPS basically with offline Google Maps. I just pop out the sim card, put in airplane mode and switch WiFi on and I am good to go.

Hi @benl.w2f50k
If your minds set why not buy a cheap Walmart phone. They will have an unlimited supply when it gets broken. The screens are very fragile on smart phones. I don’t mean to be rude or adamant in my view but I just would NOT give a real working phone to any child under 12 yrs old from experience of once being a kid & having 2 niece’s and 2 nephew’s.

Funny you mention Walmart. Yesterday I noticed that Walmart is selling the Verizon version of the Moto E4 for $40. Since I don’t plan to ever buy a plan for it I don’t care if it’s locked to Verizon.

As for breaking it… He has been using the tablet for 2-3 years already without issue. It helps that he is an only child.

I’m hoping the Moto E4 will get os updates for a while.

After your comment to me of your sons tablet I have realized 1 niece & 1 nephew are spawn from the devil’s seed. They can make Pennywise the killer clown look like Ronald Mcdonald working the drive through hand out window.
The other niece & nephew are great.

Message an
Expert customer