Buying Used Phone

I’m looking to buy a used Moto X 2014 from Swappa. The phone listing says it was previously used with Republic Wireless. When I look at the FAQs it says to bring your own phone it must have Android 6.0 Marshmallow or higher OS and the Moto X 2014 says it runs on Android 5.1. The seller has confirmed that he previously used the phone with Republic Wireless service, so do you know if it will work? Also, do I need to buy a new sim card if I get a new phone? Or can I take the sim card out of my current phone and move it over?

Yes, it will work just fine. It will go on the Republic Refund plan. Details on the Plans and the activation instructions follow:

Republic Wireless Plans 2.0: Republic Refund

Activate My Phone

It is important that the seller removed any screen lock before factory resetting the phone. It is also important that the seller did not remove the SIM.

What is the impact if the sim card has been removed? Is the phone not usable anymore, or would I just need to buy a new sim card from Republic? And can I transfer the sim card from my current Moto E?

Moto E 1st had no SIM card

the Legacy phones the SIM card are locked to the Phones and can not be swap between devices

if you get a Legacy phone with out a SIM work with Republic support to get one link to that phone

If the SIM card has been removed you have two options:

1. Contact the seller and ask for the SIM card. It is of no value to the seller and will only work in the phone it was originally installed.

2. Contact RW support with the phone’s MEID and ask them for a new SIM card for that phone.

3. Without the SIM the phone will work but it will not have access to LTE data.

Message an
Expert customer