BYOD 1) wording on website comes across as misleading 2) New phones beta testing?

byop

The issue is that this issue has been hashed, rehashed, and then hashed some more since the day Republic was founded. Republic has come a long way from a single beta phone to a few available phones that couldn’t even be reactivated, to a much larger selection of phones that even have BYOP options.

Republic is aware of the desire for more Android phones, for iPhones, and even other operating systems. They also understand their business, their technology, their ability to provide support, their ability to engineer, their priorities, etc. Rest assured, if they find ways to expand their business that can be profitable, supportable to the quality that they want to have in the marketplace, they will.

Until then, reminding them that this is desired is absolutely acceptable. Expecting that the issue will be discussed in detail, less than 30 days after it was already discussed may not be reasonable.

Thank you. That was a much more informative answer than the ones that were hashed out a month ago. Knowing that RW is working toward that goal is something that needs to be communicated. The ideas being offered are ways to help them get there. Maybe an official statement about what needs to work for a phone to be supported would be helpful. That’s something that an enthusiastic customer could take to their favorite phone vendor and ask if they do this and if not why not.

I for one, do understand that they need to stay profitable. I really want them to as I like the company and want to continue using them. Many of my friends are getting to the point of rolling their eyes when I mention RW (at least the ones that have not become customers) as I advocate their services all the time.

This is by no means an official statement. Similar to Google’s Project Fi, Republic blends multiple telephone networks. Unlike, Project Fi, one of those networks isn’t cellular. Republic blends the Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP) network of its former parent company Bandwidth.com with one of two cellular partners. VoIP is the technology powering Republic’s WiFi calling and text messaging. The blending of networks is managed by the Republic Wireless app. Because of this unique blending (sufficiently unique to be patented), a particular phone’s hardware compatibility with one or both of Republic’s cellular partners is not (in and of itself) sufficient to render a phone compatible with Republic’s service.

To provide its members the quality of service Republic desires, the Republic Wireless app must be tested as working as intended on any phone Republic might choose to support. I (and many others who frequent this Community) are geeks. The geek in me very much likes the concept of members helping to test new phones Republic might not otherwise have the resources to expend on. The realist in me has learned to appreciate businesses can’t always do as the geek in me would like. Even a theoretical beta program as you suggest would require Republic to expend resources it may not be able to spare.

If one analyzes the phones Republic sells and supports, it’s not so much of a mystery. Several Samsung phones are among those supported. Samsung is far and away the leading brand in terms of Android phones sold in the market. Republic has a long working history with Motorola, thus that many Motorola phones are supported is not terribly surprising. Google phones (Pixel and Nexii) run (in theory) the purest form of Android in existence, so support is easier than another manufacturer’s variant. I believe only two supported phones (the Alcatel A30 and Huawei Ascend 5W) have been something other than a Samsung, Google or Motorola phone. It’s worth noting the Ascend has a not insignificant software bug that disallows WiFi calling in the absence of cell signal. A fix would require an operating system update from Huawei. To date, that update has not been forthcoming. Therefore, I find Republic’s desire to reduce the potential need to rely on such an update by closely vetting phones prior to supporting them to be reasonable under the circumstances.

Understanding that it is not official, that sounds like a good start to the list

Stock Android (6 or greater?)
Supports T-Moble sim
??? Seems this should be a longer list.

It is also interesting to note that the “not insignificant software bug” would most likely have been caught by the lab I suggested and that phone would not currently be a supported phone.

You might think that, but it wasn’t caught in the beta that Republic did do.

I supposes if we had a column that listed the specific model number for each offering, BYOD or otherwise, this would be a good place for a prospective customer to start shipping.

I’m not sure it adds much value. Given that a phone can be in the store for a while and then transition to BYOP, what does having such a column really tell you?

If I’m using the table to select a phone and discover that the S7 fits my needs, it tells me only one of several versions of the S7 will work.

That is heart-breaking to me, as that was my goal as an Ambassador. The whole idea was to ‘span’ that gap, and not be an “idea-killer” at all…

:frowning_face:

Possibly even more useful would be a note on the specific models that don’t work stating the problem. This would help refine a list of what is needed to be supported.

To be a little more specific, I’m not suggesting that every phone made be listed with why it is not supported, just particular models that are already supported, but a particular version of that model that is a problem, list the problem.

Hmm… Frustrating. I wonder if a particular phone making it to beta causes a push to get it out of beta as quickly as possible. (I know that’s how it would work around here…). If a bunch of phones were in a lab, it would seem that the pressure to release them as supported might be reduced. Possibly giving them a longer time to find issues.

Supported phones is the location for that information. I don’t think the table can handle another column.

This is in so many other places, including documents and the BYOP page itself. I don’t think it adds value in the chart and the chart is already getting very wide.

Not to sound like a nay-sayer, but each phone has precisely ONE model that works. On the other hand, a phone like the S8 has well over a dozen models that don’t. This isn’t practical.

Do you know if the ones that don’t are pretty much the same problem or is it a matter of one particular version is tested and therefor supported?

They all have the same problem. They are not the US factory unlocked version which means the carriers have had their hands in the pot. On something like the S7 there is the “V” Verizon Version, the “P” Sprint Versions, the “T” T-Mobile Version, the “A” AT&T Version, the “VL” Straighttalk Version, the “F” version which is the international unlocked that has different LTE bands, and so on (Cricket, MetroPCS, etc all have their own versions). In each case the carrier has modified the OS, sometimes removing underlying functionality, sometimes adding bloatware that can interfere, sometimes even the hardware is different (CDMA radio, no CDMA radio, different LTE bands)

Perfect, another thing to add to the list for a phone to be supportable.

Needs to be unlocked.

Not quite specific enough. Needs to be FACTORY unlocked.

Make that NORTH AMERICAN FACTORY unlocked.

Could you enlighten me about why NORTH AMERICAN FACTORY vs. just FACTORY?